Thread: Pro Audio Amps in the Home

Pro Audio Amps in the Home

Is there good reason not to use Pro Audio amps in a home system?

I am having a real tough time deciding how to put together a simple, upgrade-able home set-up. I do want separate preamp, amps.

The more I peruse the home forums, the more I realize what a small niche car audio is.

in my very limited experience....some cooling fans on the pro amps are quite audible when listening to music, especially quite passages

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by azngotskills View Post
    in my very limited experience....some cooling fans on the pro amps are quite audible when listening to music, especially quite passages
    Yeah, but there are a lot of studio amps that use a heat sink instead of fans. Power is cheaper for pro audio amps so they are appealing. Also depends on the power you want to run. High power pro amps will have said fans generally. Look around. It's more common that you think to use pro audio in the home.
    Just because you don't understand the data doesn't mean it's not relevant.

Since the amp wouldn't be driven too hard, and have lots of headroom, could the fans be disabled or re-configured to switch on and off at will without posing too much of a problem?

Founding Member
    you are solving a problem that doesn't exist. From MVM you know that it is a common config. So go do some E-shopping. Find some candidate models. The before you short list a few, see what's up with cooling. See if you even need to worry about the "cooling issue" to begin with!

Thanks. I was replying to Azngotskills and didn't see MiniVanMan's post until after my reply. My initial instinct told me to go with pro amps. I got away from it but I will do some more homework.

Put the amps somewhere else. No noise issues.

Real Name
    Adam
    x2

I originally placed mine in our back bedroom. That's now the nursery so I moved everything to a hall closet this past weekend. It's a nice setup in my opinion. Only thing in the family room is the wall mounted tv, the speakers, and the subs (4 of which are IB in the ceiling). Looks very clean and all the equipment is controlled via IR repeaters or Bluetooth. I should snap a pic or two.

It's currently hard for me to imagine using something other than pro audio amps in the future.
    Last edited by Adam_MSS; 03-15-2011 at 11:19 AM.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

I just kept the amps/processing in another place. I like having the control for hand use. Regardless it still cleans things up considerably adding to spouse approval factor.