Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RTA Measurement Hardware

Soundcard mic inputs provide BIAS VOLTAGE, pro level mic inputs provide PHANTOM POWER, HUGE difference.

Soundcard mic inputs are generally shitty balls.

On top of that most sound card mic inputs provide bias on the ring of the TRS, I'm not sure if they are forced into going tot he tip if the ring is shorted as with the Tip sleeve on that mic.

I'd buy a used behringer and have bikini calibrate it for you. Done deal.

The Audyssey mic provided by Alpine works plugged directly into my laptop mic jack. I cannot speak to the Denon mic. One would assume it is the same, but who knows? DS-21 and I both use Alpine's Audyssey so we have the mics available, as Nguyen did at the time. I have also used it with a simple USB soundcard that is recommended for voice recognition. I'm not sure if the results were much different from the the built-in mic input to tell you the truth.
    Last edited by 86mr2; 08-26-2010 at 09:58 PM.

So I guess before we get into a what is the best hardware debate... What are you looking to do with a RTA and why?

For what it is worth, I ain't by any means saying it is the best hardware. It is just simple.

Exactly, but so is simple RTA. RTA to me is good for 3 things.

#1 to Give me confidence in that what I'm hearing in an abnormality really exists.
    #2 Find that pesky resonant frequncy that you already know the frequency of and can do little about even knowing the EXACT frequency
    #3 an excuse to spend that much more time prepping a car for tuning, even though my ears work just fine for the task at hand, but I need the time to get more beer in me before she puts me into another task.

Which as an addendum to #3, since I refuse to tune while drinking.... I need some time to play with a computer and get completely pissed off at it.

Whereas with a closed loop system you have SOOOO much more available, like delay location, transfer function display, you name it.

IMO, the mobile pre is overkill for most. Most want to simply measure their system's output. For this, a mic mate and mic will suffice as most computer sound cards are 'good enough'. You can use your default soundcard to send audio out if you choose to use your RTA software for tone/noise generation (which I suggest).

If you want to start splitting hairs, then you can pick up the mobile pre. As Chad said, it gives you the benefit of a closed loop system measurement (time alignment).
    The one benefit of the pre is, with the right cable(s), you can measure preout and speaker output response. Just remember to keep in mind the input voltage allowed and the fact that you may want to make a voltage divider.

But, for most folks, a simple mic mate + mic used with your standard sound card is going to suffice.
    If I were to recommend spending money, I'd say it's more worth it to get your mic calibrated.

Always trust your ears. I love my rta usage, but I don't trust it much below 200hz other than to help me pinpoint resonance issues and to get a general curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    So I guess before we get into a what is the best hardware debate... What are you looking to do with a RTA and why?
    Well it's pretty simple. With the MS-gr8 doing the auto-eq, I want to:

a) verify the response given
    b) see the response with manual adjustments after running the setup
    c) play around with the home setup with adding a sub to the mix

I am not trying to do any hardcore testing, just sanity check, as you mentioned.

For that matter, would the MS-gr8 binaurals work plugged into the laptop? Perhaps not something anyone but JBL can answer, but I doubt they would tell me yes, for liability reasons.

I doubt it, said mic input is mono, with, again bias voltage on the ring.