Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RTA Measurement Hardware

Quote Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
    But, for most folks, a simple mic mate + mic used with your standard sound card is going to suffice.
    If I were to recommend spending money, I'd say it's more worth it to get your mic calibrated.
    I somehow missed your earlier response, Erin. This is good info, I am leaning towards going this route.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    I doubt it, said mic input is mono, with, again bias voltage on the ring.
    Sorry, the 'bias voltage on the ring' went right over my head. Good point on the mono input-that part I can comprehend. :o

Founding Member
    The Dayton calibrated microphone from Parts Express wasn't bad deal when they were on sale a while back. Of course, now I have two measurement microphones and a usb mic mate sitting around collecting dust.

Quote Originally Posted by 0SF View Post
    The Dayton calibrated microphone from Parts Express wasn't bad deal when they were on sale a while back. Of course, now I have two measurement microphones and a usb mic mate sitting around collecting dust.
    Lemme know if you'd rather have cash...

As Chad said, you'll need the voltage to power them (at least 5v, as high as 9v) and you'll need stereo input which most soundcards do not have.
    These people sell mics (and if you look at their offerings, I wonder if JBL doesn't source their mics directly from these guys).
    soundprofessionals.com

Here's an FAQ on binaural mics with some light explanation of why power is needed:
    http://www.soundprofessionals.com/bi...icrophone.html

If you go into their 'battery module' FAQ, you'll get more answers. If you start digging the net, you'll find a way to homebrew your own binaural mics.
    I did a writeup on this but it wasn't very popular so I just pulled it. I still have some links in my build thread over on diy, though. I found a LOT of good information on the matter and posted them there for me to have later if needed. I even have some information and a correction file for calibration on the wm-60/61 electets that are used in most of the mics.

The mobile pre does have stereo inputs, however, IIRC the mobilepre does not provide any sort of power.
    Contrarily, most standard soundcards do provide 'plug in power', which is typically about 4v (mine measured 3.98v). This is enough to power the mics. The problem here is, as Chad said, it's only mono so using binaurals with it is a waste.

So, you either have two options:
    1) Buy a battery pack to use with the mobile pre's 1/8" mic input
    2) Buy a new soundcard that provides plug-in power to stereo channels
    The guys linked above sell a USB sound card that supposedly works for stereo recording and provides power, but I never got it to record dual channels at the same time. I still have it sitting next to my binaurals. I may give it another go.
    3) Get a unit such as the mobile pre with dual xlr or TRS inputs (left/right) and buy conversion cables or filters for these input types, then buy a single mic for each ear and plug left mic into the left input of the pre and right into right. I believe PE sells a TRS mic with battery in line, so you could buy two of those and pretty much be set as long as your external soundcard has stereo TRS inputs.
    Using the xlr inputs is a total waste, IMO, because the conversion cables needed are an additional $25/each, iirc. Again, guys I linked above sell this stuff, too.

One thing to keep in mind is the purpose of what you're doing. With binaurals, you either will be recording or measuring. You may not need a high voltage to your mics if you're kind of dilly dallying around with your system's FR, but if you're measuring you're rig at full tilt, then you will probably need the 9v+ so that you get less distortion... at least according to the FAQ mentioned above.

I think that pretty much covers it. Gotta get to work!
    Last edited by ErinH; 08-27-2010 at 10:20 AM.

/me is trying to dig up info on his Creative Audigy 2 NX external USB card...looks like it's still mono mic input.

Real Name
    Adam
    I use the Art USB Dual Pre http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/USBDualPrePS and a behringer mic calibrated by Cross Spectrum Labs at 0, 45 and 90 degrees.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Founding Member
    MicMate-Jorge(Doitor) says they work great as well.

You can find them for around $40 bucks.

Thank you everyone for your input. I think for my noob needs, a mic mate or icicle usb preamp with behringer mic would be most suitable.

Founding Member
    I use a M-Audio MobilePre with a cal'd Behringer ECM-8000. ...zero issues

Bought it cover the bases for various testing software apps...

Wanna know something just ask...

Quote Originally Posted by 2chGUY View Post
    I use a M-Audio MobilePre with a cal'd Behringer ECM-8000. ...zero issues

Bought it cover the bases for various testing software apps...

Wanna know something just ask...
    Same thing here, I use a looping cable that I made for the reference feed for some other softwares.