Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humorous Pics and Vids

Humorous Pics and Vids

These may be a bit of a long shot. Armstrong and Miller's WWII Pilot sketches are probably funniest if you've seen the '40's movies that they are satirizing. They are very popular with those of us who have.

Ok, I'll fess up, I love English comics(NSFW-ish):

Dara on quackery:

Real Name
    Adam
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

story of my life

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    story of my life
    Moi aussi.

Small e-clips are my kryptonite. Any small, hardened piece of steel turns into a superball when it hits concrete. The tiny little pings as the item recedes along a pseudo-random path under something are like physics laughing at me.

Actually, large pieces of hardened metal turn into movie special effects. At least one knifemaker was killed by a knife blade that snagged on a buffer wheel, bounced off the floor, back into the buffer and then into him. A friend of mine had the blade hit the floor, bounce back to the buffer, sail into the wall behind the buffer, bounce off the back wall, and go point first through his bicep into his humerus. The icing on the cake was that he needed to drive himself to the nearest hospital, 90 minutes away.
    Last edited by 86mr2; 03-31-2011 at 11:43 PM.

I've never had the need to put a knife to a grinding wheel.

Knifemaking is very different from knife using and buffer, not grinder. Mirror-polished blades are buffed. Even satin finished blades can be buffed in order to close the pores and make them less likely to corrode. The latter was the approach I used. Handles and furniture (bolsters, guards, pommels) typically require some degree of buffing.

I never lost a blade, but I did have a pair of bolsters get ripped out of a pair of vicegrips while I polished the front faces. It was exciting and wrecked the bolsters.

For blade shaping, we use belt grinders rather than grinding wheels. Grinding wheels are slow, put too much heat into the blade, and lack versatility. They also cost about $1800 less.

Real Name
    Adam
    I need to post a picture of my mirror polished fixed blade SHTF knife. Might not be funny in a traditional sense, but I'm willing to bet Chad would get a good laugh out of the fact that I had it made.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I need to post a picture of my mirror polished fixed blade SHTF knife.
    Please do!

Administrator
    Just because you don't understand the data doesn't mean it's not relevant.