Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How not to install MLV

How not to install MLV

When I first did my build, I couldn't fit a full sheet of MLV between the door skin and the door. There were just too many places where there wasn't enough room. So, I rolled it up, stuck in inside the door, and unrolled it against the outer door skin. It was a tough reach but I made it happen.

Recently there has been glue turning up on the outside of my window glass. I tore into it today and I found the MLV hanging down. It's been a wet winter here in the Bay Area and it seems that water has unstuck the high strength Velcro. The window was catching the flap of MLV and the glue was getting on the glass.

Not to mention, my MDF rings are absorbing a bunch of water too. :eek: But anyway, install your MLV on the dry side of the door!

Dan

Founding Member
    Use a better glue. That's where the MLV is in my car and it's dead-nuts perfect.

Now, I DID use some crappy butyl damper in my old honda on the outer skin and saw the same thing you are seeing, just butyl, not glue on the window. Seized the window a couple times too. You ever remove panels of of CLD from a difficult-to-get-to door? Pain in the butt. Never again.

I'll cheap out like the next guy, but never in the doors. Not again. Buy once, cry once.

Interesting. Don recommends industrial strength Velcro, which I bought on Amazon. What would you suggest instead?

Real Name
    Sam
    Quote Originally Posted by earthtodan View Post
    Interesting. Don recommends industrial strength Velcro, which I bought on Amazon. What would you suggest instead?
    How are yours doors put together? It looks like CLD, MLV, CCF? My doors (and the rest of the truck) are CLD, CCF, MLV using HH-66 to adhere CCF to MLV and ZERO issues. Some spots on the outer skin of the vehicle in the back uses velcro to help hold the MLV up but you aren't getting that velcro to come off the foam OR vinyl; ever.
    Last edited by sam3535; 03-28-2011 at 09:28 AM.
    Pioneer - Helix - Kenwood - Fountek - SEAS - xtant - Phoenix Gold
    Team EMD - Team Show Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by Whitledge Designs View Post
    Jon Whitledge wishes people would focus on the value and significance his work rather than nitpick about things that are inconsequential.
    :thumbsup:

Founding Member
    Actually, I've never found a good velcro yet, if you have any recommendations. The velcro itself is bitchin, but the glue backer always comes off for me. Maybe one day I'll learn how to use it properly.

I just use tried and true contact adhesive. No skimping on quality, and following the directions to the absolute letter. The VOC content has to be right to apply the pieces of everything falls apart.

gyroscopes and infrared FoxForce's Avatar
    What do you expect, you installed it upside down.

From the pictures, it looks like the MLV is on the outer skin side and open cell foam (1/4") toward the inside of the car. Not only will it not stick, but it will not function as a noise barrier near as well if it's installed correctly.

At any rate, now's a good time to rip it out and do it over. Given your issues, put it on the inner door skin/driver mounting surface or don't put it in your door.
    Last edited by FoxForce; 03-28-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Founding Member
    holy smokes fox, getting a layer of MLV on the inner door skin is tough to do. Not only is the surface typically less flat than the exterior, but theres usually a bunch of stuff on there too like the window tracks. How can you get a good layer on there?

Or do you cut it up into small pieces to laminate there?

That is what I tried first, but it wasn't gonna happen. There are just too many places where my door skin meets the door.

Founding Member
    I wanna know how he did it. Because I did it in my car, and I did the outer door in 3 pieces for 100% coverage. I did the INSIDE skin (on the inside too) in something like 12-15 pieces and have 60% coverage at best. I frankly think it's not doing anything. If he's got a trick I wanna know.

The material I bought is MLV with CCF adhered. I installed it with the MLV out because I don't trust the holding power of foam.