Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Unadultered Crossover Points

Real Name
    George
    If a single driver is to be used 1600hz, I would use one of the following choices: Seas Exotic 1.5 dome or BG Neo 8 planar with high end equalization. There are however many choices that would be equal in distortion issues between 1600hz and 6000hz compared to a driver X crossed somewhere between 85hz-200hz: most >1" <2" domes (SB29, Scan 7000).

Furthermore there is also the supertweeter options for those that can squeeze in another driver. Just like how proponents of Driver X would say I'm using a midbass driver 85hz-200hz with little ITD confusion, proponents of the 1600hz xover can say I'm using a supertweeter 6khz and up with little IID confusion. This opens lots of options, more planars and large domes would be favorite.

Real Name
    Todd
    Well, here's my solution:
    5 to 7" midranges in the dash on axis playing from 150 to 200 Hz up
    Tweeters, if necessary, placed very close to the midranges.
    8" midbasses in the floor.
    Looking forward to seeing how that works myself
    Last edited by Highly; 04-11-2011 at 09:08 AM.

What do you plan on covering the mesh with? Grill cloth?
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Nexus 7 | DAC | miniDSP | Aura MR2150 x 3 | NRT18-8 | RS180-4 | neo8-s

Real Name
    Todd
    Quote Originally Posted by BowDown View Post
    What do you plan on covering the mesh with? Grill cloth?
    Sorry for the ninja edit. Thought better of posting the pic in the wild quite yet. Yes, it will be covered with grille cloth.
    Team MSE/JL Audio
    2010 MECA OK State Champion Modified SQ and Install
    2011 MECA OK State Champion Extreme SQ, SQ BOS
    2011 MECA World Champion Extreme SQ
    2012 MECA OK State Champion Extreme SQ, SQ BOS

Quote Originally Posted by Highly View Post
    Sorry for the ninja edit. Thought better of posting the pic in the wild quite yet. Yes, it will be covered with grille cloth.
    Ha! Neat concept though. Wouldn't of considered something like that. Now the wheels are turning wondering how much space is under the dash pad in my car.
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Nexus 7 | DAC | miniDSP | Aura MR2150 x 3 | NRT18-8 | RS180-4 | neo8-s

Real Name
    Todd
    Well, there was no room from the factory. Now there is, but I had to completely re-engineer the A/C system. Now it all fits fine and the A/C actually flows more air more quietly that from the factory. That took a little work.

<wordpicture>Basically I cut the entire top off the dash and rebuilt it all from the A/C vents up. A steel mesh grille replaces everything from the gauge cluster to the windshield. </wordpicture>

Name:  DSC00154 (Small).JPG
Views: 99
Size:  52.8 KB
    Last edited by Highly; 04-11-2011 at 09:35 AM.
    Team MSE/JL Audio

Founding Member
    Hi Highly,

A shop out here did a FANTASTIC job with exactly what you are planning. Only they used a traditional component set (6.5/tweeter) in steel enclosures welded to the firewall. As in, the baffles WERE the firewall.

To finish the dashboard, they simply stretched grillecloth over the large hole that was the dash. No framework, no supports, nothing. Since the plastic dashtop was cut leaving the ring of plastic that attaches to the remaining dashwork, it was the perfect surface for cloth lamination.

And would you believe that when it was done that it looked EXACTLY like you'd expect the dash of an xA to look like? Except instead of hard plastic, you could poke at soft elastic cloth. Just amazing work.

To this day, my favorite car, tonally. Bar none.

Real Name
    Todd
    Since I am running a Hybrid front stage, every driver (all of them!) vent through the firewall completely IB. The dash speakers vent into the wiper cowl, the midbasses into the wheel wells. All the vent holes are 3/4 of the Sd of the respective driver to keep things flowing. Yeah, that's a lot of metal removed from the car. Took a real gut-check for intestinal fortitude before making the first cut...

I can only hope that the end result is worth it...!

-Todd
    Team MSE/JL Audio

Real Name
    Todd
    Oh, the hell with it. It clearly is not done yet, but I really want to show it off. The (gauge cluster) hood and midbass covers are under construction. The hood is acoustically transparent.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Team MSE/JL Audio

Founding Member
    Are you sure you need the metal mesh? There was NOTHING in the xA, and it was a curved stretch too for the grille cloth. I'm sure you can remove that stuff and just let the grillecloth float if you wanted. It won't change the finished look, just the durability.

Other than that, Are you able to change the baffle design? I ask because the xA designer mentioned he had to try a few configurations before getting it how he liked it. Subtracting extra midbasses, tweaking tweeter position if I recall, etc.