Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Unadultered Crossover Points

Quote Originally Posted by Highly View Post
    I very much welcome your visit - I think it would be a benefit to the discussion to have a few people that have heard the current incarnation of the car to add in their two cents. Let me know when you are in the area and I will make every effort to get you some seat time!

-Todd
    Thanks Todd. I just got back from Lawton and will be setting up my return trip over the next couple of weeks with target arrival sometime in late Oct or early Nov. have you got a seat at your Thanksgiving table? JK

i will try to run a few tunes in my car with what I think you are up to with TA just for the sake of familiarity. however the audio is taking a backseat right now to the supercharger install (and axels, intake, ps relocation, etc. )

Charles

Real Name
    Robert
    Holy cow... I grew up in Lawton...

Throughout the past couple months I have been adjusting crossover points more than anything else. It amazes me the affect crossover points have on a soundstage. Thankfully I have the flexibility to adjust settings on the fly. I can not imagine it any other way. While acknowledging the limitations of the drivers I am using for my front stage I have come up with one funky looking crossover array. My kick mounted midbass drivers ended up playing a much broader bandwidth that what I would have thought. With the help of this thread I can attest that a large overlap with the midbass and midrange have done wonders to my soundstage. My midbass are crossed above 1K (1.4K IIRC) and my midrange is crossed below 1K(600 IIRC). There is a very narrow crossover bandwidth separation between my midbass/midrange/tweeter.

This gave me new hope. Before my soundstage was very narrow and did not have much depth. The center image was fantastic. Now the stage width is beyond the doors and stage depth is outside the windshield. The center image has not been much affected (it is still great!). Another goal was to make the midrange drivers more transparent. Crossover settings pretty much did that! I have some limitations with my mounting locations that are preventing it from being drastically better than what it is now. I doubt I will win any awards with my setup but it is leaps and bounds in the right direction. Next up is to experiment with different midrange and tweeter locations.

It is forums like this that enable garage junkies like myself to accomplish goals that we would not have been able to. Thanks to all for sharing!!!!!!

Real Name
    Kelvin
    Quote Originally Posted by edouble View Post
    Throughout the past couple months I have been adjusting crossover points more than anything else. It amazes me the affect crossover points have on a soundstage. Thankfully I have the flexibility to adjust settings on the fly. I can not imagine it any other way. While acknowledging the limitations of the drivers I am using for my front stage I have come up with one funky looking crossover array. My kick mounted midbass drivers ended up playing a much broader bandwidth that what I would have thought. With the help of this thread I can attest that a large overlap with the midbass and midrange have done wonders to my soundstage. My midbass are crossed above 1K (1.4K IIRC) and my midrange is crossed below 1K(600 IIRC). There is a very narrow crossover bandwidth separation between my midbass/midrange/tweeter.

This gave me new hope. Before my soundstage was very narrow and did not have much depth. The center image was fantastic. Now the stage width is beyond the doors and stage depth is outside the windshield. The center image has not been much affected (it is still great!). Another goal was to make the midrange drivers more transparent. Crossover settings pretty much did that! I have some limitations with my mounting locations that are preventing it from being drastically better than what it is now. I doubt I will win any awards with my setup but it is leaps and bounds in the right direction. Next up is to experiment with different midrange and tweeter locations.

It is forums like this that enable garage junkies like myself to accomplish goals that we would not have been able to. Thanks to all for sharing!!!!!!
    Good to see you're trying different Xover points in order to fine tune your system. Did you play with T/A yet?

Don't get mad but I'm wondering if the wider and deeper soundstage isn't a phase artifact?
    I've been playing with rear speakers for about 2 weeks and everytime I feel like I've found THE correct T/A setting ; giving me better width and depth ; I finally run into a song that tells me it's actually phase problem that leads me to believe I have better width and depth

Overlapping would require more attention on phase than a "same Xover point" or an underlapping Xover point system...

Kelvin

Quote Originally Posted by Subwoofery View Post
    Good to see you're trying different Xover points in order to fine tune your system. Did you play with T/A yet?

Don't get mad but I'm wondering if the wider and deeper soundstage isn't a phase artifact?
    I've been playing with rear speakers for about 2 weeks and everytime I feel like I've found THE correct T/A setting ; giving me better width and depth ; I finally run into a song that tells me it's actually phase problem that leads me to believe I have better width and depth

Overlapping would require more attention on phase than a "same Xover point" or an underlapping Xover point system...

Kelvin
    I have not readjusted TA.

Interesting that you mention phase. It is certainly possible phase has gotten better. My ears are not finely tuned yet LOL neither is my understanding of putting this all together. Being that I am a beginner to SQ I need to listen more intently and possibly start over from scratch. My "experimental" settings that I have now have definitely opened my eyes to new options.

Also interesting that you mentioned rear speakers. I have been reading tid bits about this. I cant say that that is anything I will do with this setup. I imagine the ambiance would be nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by edouble View Post

That's an awesome statement. 2nd the thanks...