Thread: Near field subwoofer

Founding Member

Near field subwoofer

I'm not sure if I am in the right section but here goes. I am in the process of switching my computer speakers to near field monitors, and pretty much have my mind set on some KRK Rokit 8s.

Now for my dilemma. What on earth should I be looking for driver specifications wise or enclosure build wise to implement a near field subwoofer? I can't say I've ever attempted to implement such a thing before, so any pointers would be appreciated.

Founding Member
    How much SPL do you want, down to what frequency?

IMO, the only difference between a nearfield system sub and a regular home sub is that rather than using multisubs building one sub and then EQing to taste is the better option. Unless you move around a bunch by your computer, at least.

I believe Genelec uses the XXLS subs no? Those genelec subs get right at it.

Founding Member
    Therein lies my dilemma... In this room placing the subwoofer close to me is not that big of a deal and I am certain that I can figure out some way to delay it for music reproduction through the M-Audio 2496. Of course, at my next house, I may be strictly near field depending on what my wife wants in a house.

Regardless, I know it is just sub bass and I would like enough output to complement the near field monitors by keeping them in their useful range.

Founding Member
    FWIW, here are the raw responses for three subwoofers in my current temporary abode. (5-point spatial average.) It's interesting to see the differences loading has on their response. S1 is in a corner (and is a bigger, more powerful sub than S2 or S3), S2 and S3 are identical units. S2 considerably closer to a corner than S3, and S3 is only maybe 7' away from the listening position.

S1:

S2:

S3:

The nearfieldish S3 has practically the sub's expected anechoic response, except for the prominent floor-ceiling mode. I don't know how much of the difference in smoothness of response (as opposed to extension) between S2 and S3 is a result of distance between them, as opposed to boundary-loading effects. Both are against a wall, but as noted above S2 is much closer to a room (and building) corner.

Mic setup:

No kittens were harmed in the course of measurement.

Founding Member
    this may not mean anything, but i have the KRK Rokit 5's as a monitor setup in my office. KRK makes a sub, which automatically highpasses the monitors ( i think). I have xlr cables running from my audio output card to the sub, and then from the sub to the monitors. if you are not looking for extreme spl, i think you would be pleasantly surprised with their 10" sub. 10s Subwoofer KRK SYSTEMS

i can't complain about this set up at all, in fact, it's my reference.