Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple Cable Management

Founding Member

Simple Cable Management

This is repost on another forum, but thought it would be good here:

I don't know why I haven't thought about this before....

I was cleaning my garage today, and on the floor was an absolute rats nest of cut of speaker wire, 4ga, 1/0 ga, rca's, etc.... all on the floor in a heap. Instead of chucking all the different lengths in the garbage and wasting money, i figured why not bundle them, so I can easily determine if I can use any of this cut wire in my install instead of using new supplies.

sounds simple but it's effective: get all ends to match on the top, zip tie at the top and near the middle, and you can easily determine if a cable will be long enough. simply pull it out, tighten the zipties, and move on.

I put these in a box for easy stowing, but i suppose you could hang them on a hook or something for easier access....

...just thought i would pass this along in case anyone else is in the same shoes. i would imagine a lot of wire gets wasted when it's on the garage floor...

I went to Lowe's a bought a few storage bins. I put all my scrap power wire in one, rcas in another, and misc interconnects in a third. Makes it easy for me to find stuff later on. Well, easier. ;)

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
    I went to Lowe's a bought a few storage bins. I put all my scrap power wire in one, rcas in another, and misc interconnects in a third. Makes it easy for me to find stuff later on. Well, easier. ;)
    that works as well, but how much time do you spend sorting though looking for the right length... ? That's where a simple technique like this would be helpful in eliminating the time sorting... but of course this also assumes that you don't have a large stock of wires... These bundles all ended up in a box with the ends sticking out, so i can just grap the "power" and find a 12" length or whatever need be .. I'd be curious though to see what other people do?

I use one gallon ziplock bags which I bought at Sam's club, and just coil a bunch of like wires with each other in a bag, then label it, then toss it in a storage bucket that stacks with others. I

Administrator
    I have a box. Just a cardboard box. That, and a whole vocabulary that revolves around obscenities that are saved for just the occasion that I can't find what I need, because it's at the bottom of a rat's nest of a box.

Really, I don't spend much time sorting through for sizes. I just pull them out, grab the size needed, and toss it all back in the box. But, I don't have a lot of spare wires. If I had a shit ton, my method for storage would be to use some PVC tube bins. Make a cabinet, drill out 3-4" holes in it, then slide pvc into place (with supports, of course). Then use each pvc slot to store various wire types.
    We did this at work with rods of various size. Ranging from 1/8" to 4" and up to 50' long. Had a big 'shelf' of sorts of various sized PVC at various lengths to store each type. Made it very easy on us to go grab what was needed.

Real Name
    Matt
    I use various boxes so I cannot find what I need until I have already purchased a new version of it.

I try to keep it all in one large plastic storage box, then stuff in smaller boxes inside.

^ x2. I have one large plastic container and three laid out inside of that. I have each smaller box marked for what it contains.

I keep all my larger wire- 4ga, 1/0, 2/0, in a clear plastic bin in the garage, I used to keep it hanging on peg hooks on the wall but it was getting out of hand. I like your idea, I may use it with my shorter pieces.

I do peg hooks, either draped or coiled up, works fine for me.