Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: idq repair?

we used to have JBL2240's Unshifted all the time, they worked great.

Everywhere I called either said "no" or quoted a price higher than the replacement cost. Sad stuff. But then in November, I found a complete recone for it for $64 shipped! Yay!

Tonight, 11 months after it broke, and 5 months after buying the recone, I finally got around to working on this. First I had to clean the magnet. The IDQ's magnetic gap had managed to catch a bunch of little metal specks, because I'd left it just hanging out on a shelf in my garage. I wound up using clear packing tape and a small "popsicle stick sized" piece of plastic. April 11, 2012 12:54 AM - YouTube

So next step is reassembly, but I can't find the small plastic bag labeled "IDQ Hardware" for the life of me. I just ransacked all my assorted hardware collections, and every random box of unorganized crap left over from moving... and still no hardware, dammit.

I had a beer and put painters tape over the magnetic gap so I don't have to clean it again... now I'm online looking for hardware for the thing... but not finding anything yet. I think I'll just take the parts to the hardware store tomorrow on my lunch break, and try to find a bunch of perfect-sized bolts.
    Alpine CDA-9884, PXA-H100, KTX-H100
    Image Dynamics CTX65CS, IDQ12V3D4
    2x JBL P180.2, BP1200.1

as long as you know the size and thread-pitch, buy whatever length you need and cut em off to length

Might be worth calling ID to see if theyll sell you the hardware.

Support

Found hardware which worked perfectly hiding in my "assorted hardware" boxes. Assembled using the recone, included shims, and superglue - the IDQV3D4 is alive! Still breaking it in but it sounds perfect so far.

Horray for success on my first shifted magnet repair and recone
    2x JBL P180.2, BP1200.1

Quote Originally Posted by mellephants View Post
    Yeah, I just read up about it a little bit. It looks POSSIBLE, via perfect shimming and large presses and things, but very difficult, and certainly impossible to do myself at anywhere near the replacement price of the thing. I sent out a bunch of emails to repair shops, describing the situation, so if those quotes are low enough, I'll probably try to get it repaired.

I wonder, if it is "repaired", how close to original the sound will be? Even if it sounds "perfect", I'd probably have trouble selling it at anywhere near what I could get if it hadn't been broken-and-fixed.
    I forgot to mention the reason that I was able to realign the magnet and basket... The IDQ V3 uses a fiberglass composite basket - so there was no issue with magnetic forces to deal with when aligning it. Honestly with all 6 bolts halfway threaded in, there was zero lateral wiggle room, so nothing to align at all. I think what originally happened is the glue between the magnet and basket broke loose, and there was an instant of misalignment which was enough to burn/crinkle the voice coil.
    2x JBL P180.2, BP1200.1

Actually when a magnet shifts the pole piece hits the top plate of the basket because the pole piece is mounted to the bottom plate and the bottom plate shifts... normally. this pinched the coil in the gap with a VENGEANCE. It sounds as if in your case the basket became mis-alligned. But nonetheless, congrats!

Sadly the magnet has shifted again. Maybe using generic $1 super glue was a bad idea - probably overheated and released. The VC is probably damaged, but maybe I'll get lucky and be able to just realign again.

Now to find some better glue. Does anybody have a recommendation?
    2x JBL P180.2, BP1200.1

2 part epoxy might work better. just get the 10 minute kind so you have some time to work with it.

the longer the cure time the stronger the final bond.