Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: idq repair?

idq repair?

I bought a idq12v3.d4 in January 2010, new on ebay

It has been mounted in about 1cuft, side-firing, since I got it. It hasn't been overpowered or anything, but I must have been in a hurry, because I forgot to attach it correctly before driving the car yesterday. It fell on its face when I turned, and then stopped working. I think the VC/motor was damaged in some way, or something. It makes very quiet sounds if you put power on it, but the cone does not visibly move at all.

So, of course, I tried to check out ID's repair procedures... but I guess they have closed their doors. (imagedynamicsusa.com) Awesome. I now have another broken subwoofer, orphaned by another great audio shop going under. I guess I'll just add it to the 3 broken Adire Audio Shivas in my attic.

Do I have any options for repair? Am I stupid for not repairing these by myself already? I'm a computer engineer, and spent about 3 years doing soldering repairs on sensitive circuit boards while I was in school, so I guess I should be able to figure it out, right? What special tools and knowledge would I need, and where does one get speaker repair supplies and replacement parts?

ADHD side note: For now I borrowed my home theater sub (early Shiva in ~2cuft sealed), and bungee cabled it, rear-firing in the hatch :laugh: It actually sounds surprisingly fucking awesome. Compared to the idq12v3, I could hear it "talking" a bit, so I had to steepen the lowpass filter from 6 to 12dB/Octave with 63Hz. Acoustic bass guitar & violin are much airier, really everything sounds a lot less mechanical. Rolling bass in hip-hop has a more pleasant and natural sound also. Don't get me wrong, I still miss the IDQ. It had a more authoritative bite at all frequencies, and sounded much cleaner and tighter. The IDQ also blended better with the ID CTX6M midrange. I think the Shiva would sound better if paired with more efficient lightweight paper cone midrange drivers... like HAT I6...
    Alpine CDA-9884, PXA-H100, KTX-H100
    Image Dynamics CTX65CS, IDQ12V3D4
    2x JBL P180.2, BP1200.1

2x JBL P180.2, BP1200.1

does the cone move if you push on it or does it seem pinched in the gap?

Cone is stuck, does not move if you push gently. A little more force and it moves a little bit, and makes sounds like something is rubbing against the winding. Maybe just an alignment issue? Anybody in IL want to try to fix it, or set it on fire, or cannibalize it for parts, or anything? ;)
    2x JBL P180.2, BP1200.1

it has a shifted magnet... thats not good news.

Oh yeah? Can't shift it back with a BFH? I guess I'm learning the hard way, ALWAYS secure enclosures!!
    2x JBL P180.2, BP1200.1

So I got around to googling for shifted magnet repairs...
    [Club Polk] MW6510 shifted magnet repair
    [AudioKarma] Advent woofer with shifted magnet - fixable?

So now I'm thinking that I will probably wind up just using this Shiva, which sucks because my planned false floor enclosure is going to have to grow, a lot. Maybe I should just switch to a different driver. Eh, fuck. I'll search for shifted magnet repair services, I guess.
    Last edited by mellephants; 04-28-2011 at 02:13 PM.
    2x JBL P180.2, BP1200.1

2x JBL P180.2, BP1200.1

Quote Originally Posted by mellephants View Post
    Oh yeah? Can't shift it back with a BFH? I guess I'm learning the hard way, ALWAYS secure enclosures!!
    Shifting it back with a BFH will be about as easy as taking 2 magnets and getting one to suspend above the other, with common poles facing, without touching it after initial placement.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    Shifting it back with a BFH will be about as easy as taking 2 magnets and getting one to suspend above the other, with common poles facing, without touching it after initial placement.
    Yeah, I just read up about it a little bit. It looks POSSIBLE, via perfect shimming and large presses and things, but very difficult, and certainly impossible to do myself at anywhere near the replacement price of the thing. I sent out a bunch of emails to repair shops, describing the situation, so if those quotes are low enough, I'll probably try to get it repaired.

I wonder, if it is "repaired", how close to original the sound will be? Even if it sounds "perfect", I'd probably have trouble selling it at anywhere near what I could get if it hadn't been broken-and-fixed.
    2x JBL P180.2, BP1200.1