Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Klippel Test Links

Real Name
    George
    You got a speaker dyno in your garage! Is that the test tone? Not at all what I expected, sounds like a jet engine.
    2001 Honda S2000
    Head: Pioneer P99 + Samsung Galaxy S3
    Amplifiers: 3,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
    4 way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, BG Neo8-s Planar transducers, Peerless XLS 10" MAC midbass woofers, Tympany LAT700 x2

it's bandlimited pink noise for LSI testing.

man, EVERYONE thinks it's done with test tones and I always have to reply that it's pinknoise. drives me nuckin' futz! ;)
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

Real Name
    George
    I wonder how suspension compliance counts in on these results. From owning several of these I must say the suspension is supper soft, and the compliance is predictably high in the spec sheets. I'm looking forward to the QTS by X plot to see just how destabilizing the suspension nonlinearities really are. That is the mechanism through which the nonliniarities introduce artifacts after all. Consequently, the HD plots should be interesting too. Given Seas's expertise on textbook impulse response and resonance qualities it may be there are no 2nd order peaks in HD midband like in many of the high end competitor speaker sets. More distortion down low where it's least audible vs. midband where it projects in the sensitive band.

My anecdotal experience says Excels, particularly the larger ones are pure bliss to listen to. Crossing the 10" Magnesium alloy with a BG Neo 8 planar at 1khz was one of the most pleasing installs I've done. That's a 2 way I could live with everyday. Of course 10"s don't fit in the S2000 up front, but maybe a good choice for a Corvette.

These are also rather shallow, 80mm with that rubber boot, probably 3" at most without it.

I'm looking at the following 7"s for my kicks if all goes well:
    18sound 6nd430, B&C 6NDL44, Seas Excel 16-18, BMS 6.5", Scan Illuminator 7" Aluminum, and well now apparently JBL GTI 660

I swear I'm going to kick myself for selling the Illuminators argh.
    Last edited by cvjoint; 08-19-2012 at 03:41 AM.
    2001 Honda S2000
    4 way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, BG Neo8-s Planar transducers, Peerless XLS 10" MAC midbass woofers, Tympany LAT700 x2

http://medleysmusings.com/seas-w18nx-001/

I rushed through posting this one while the little one was asleep. so, forgive the brevity.

As you can see from above, suspension was the limiting factor for linear excursion, limiting this driver to 3mm.

Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

Real Name
    George
    The Seas Nextel and JBL GTI 660 make a very very captivating comparison. Like I was guessing earlier, the suspension nonlinearity in the Seas doesn't really hold it back in the distortion tests. So either the BL linearity helps the Seas compensate, the suspension non-linearity* adds little to the suspension force in this design, or the suspension adds little to distortion in general for all speakers.

Overall, two very different designs with almost identical performance so far. If anything the Seas has a slight edge 100hz-500hz, but .5% difference is rather negligible. I would be equally happy with either of them. The JBL does a tad better under 70hz but I'm not sure if that range is very comparable, the room plays in a lot.

Erin, what was the bass test frequency for the IMD tests? I haven't looked at those yet. Is it the same for both?
    Last edited by cvjoint; 08-19-2012 at 07:33 PM.
    2001 Honda S2000