Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's get this party started

Let's get this party started

I've been thinking lately how much we talk about how to accurately reproduce our music, and many of us spend countless hours trying to perfect it. Well, why bother? What's it all for? What music is it that you are so passionate about that inspires you into action?

I really dig when people share music that they've found or has special meaning to them, and I'd like to see more of it. How do you all (it's not a contraction up North :p) think we can help each other discover music in new ways?

Administrator
    That's hard because I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that's "right" when it comes to musical taste.

Other than that, share, share, share. People have to be willing to step outside of their comfort zone in order to try new music.

That being said, we should probably focus on new music, or new albums coming out, or recently out that people are excited about.
    Just because you don't understand the data doesn't mean it's not relevant.

Real Name
    Adam
    It's hard to summarize what draws me to certain music. Often I'm drawn to music that feels a little rough around the edges, where it doesn't feel like there is a studio engineer between the artist(s) and me. I like it when there are imperfections. When a guitar is strummed too hard and strings buzz or when someone's voice breaks. I find myself watching YouTube videos of live performances for that reason.

Quick example. Check out this videa from 3:00 to 3:50. The best part is at 3:42, IMO.

And performances like Queen's at Live Aid are a testament to how music can bring people together. 3:11-3:20 Freddie has the crowd in the palm of his hand.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

I'm all over the map with music. And everything about life inspires what I listen to. I rock out to some Lionel Richie because my mom used to listen to it when I was little. My little girl loves this new Hanson song my wife downloaded so I find myself actually listening to it when no one else is around. When I listen to old school rap, I think about my brother. When I hear some hair metal, I think about my oldest brother. My wife and I got back together and had a real 'moment' to a Matchbox Twenty song (yea, yea, mush, mush). We were once in Orlando at a stoplight when I blared Footloose and we still laugh about the reactions of the people around us while we were spazzing out. The same trip, she played a song from one of her mix cds and made a stuffed animal dance, just to lighten to the mood that the 2 hour traffic jam had put on the trip. Layla's feet kick like a whirlwind whenever I play September by Earth, Wind, & Fire... she smiles so big and starts laughing hysterically while trying to dance. It's freaking hilarious (and awesome, as a father).
    All these songs are tied to memory and most of them are great memories. The music 'takes me back' and it really does affect my mindset in a positive way (if it's negative, I change the track).
    Pretty much anything from the 80's is on my playlist and it can range from poppy stuff to country.

It's incredibly hard for me to peg down one specific genre or one trait about music that draws me to this hobby. And, that's where I think the real beauty is: it's not constant and it's not absolute. It changes with time and with music and it seems to be very cyclic. At least to me.

On the other hand, I go weeks sometimes without listening to any music and listening instead to talk radio.
    Last edited by ErinH; 06-09-2011 at 10:35 PM.
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

Real Name
    Adam
    The memory thing plays into my tastes as well. I have distinct memories for every song on the pretty woman soundtrack because it was the first tape I could find when I got ahold of a Walkman. To this day I love "the king of wishful thinking" by go west.

Weezer's blue album was one of my first CDs and I vividly remember every detail of my room back when I was listening to it for the first time.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Dude, that song (King of...) is awesome.

I have a vivid memory of me riding my bike listening to Huey Lewis and Phil Collins Pocket Rockers tapes:
    Pocket Rockers – The Original iPod | Brown Eyed Baker Unplugged

^ warning: flashback to the 80's
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

Yes, music has that memory power with me also. Every time I hear a song I've heard before, I can remember where I was- and my mood- when I heard it. Sometimes I listen to songs only because I like the vibe that I was feeling when I first heard it. Case in point:

I was a big fan of Coldplay's first album, and I saw them at a small local venue when no one knew who they were. I recruited my wife Maria(then fiancée), her best friend and her fiancée to go to a concert for the upcoming X&Y tour. We got together for the Philadelphia International Bike Race which is a big event locally and Maria lived along the race course. Her best friend (and her fiancée) show up with a gift copy of an X&Y CD a full 2 weeks before it was said to be released in the US. To this day I don't know how they got it, but the gesture was awesome. It's the first song on the album, first song I heard, and it meant a ton to me.

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
    On the other hand, I go weeks sometimes without listening to any music and listening instead to talk radio.
    That sounds like a painful diet. Regardless of where on the talk radio spectrum you mean (right wing idiot blather, sports hysteria, the NPR "go to sleep now, please, if you'd like" Voice, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Weezer's blue album was one of my first CDs and I vividly remember every detail of my room back when I was listening to it for the first time.
    Young you had way better taste than young me. My first CD was Van Halen's "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge." Fortunately, I guess, 2 and 3 were "Nevermind" and "Ten."

I can't even try to answer this thread, because I honestly have no idea. It just kinda happened. I would say that some of it was discovering my mom's record collection, but in truth I didn't do that until I had already saved up for a long time for my first "real" stereo. I guess it did get kicked up in high school, though, because I found myself surrounded by so many amazing musicians, in a program that was led by a truly inspiring man - my old HS actually named the giant music building after him, while he was still teaching - who really broadened my musical horizons. But I had been a music geek well before that.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
    That sounds like a painful diet. Regardless of where on the talk radio spectrum you mean (right wing idiot blather, sports hysteria, the NPR "go to sleep now, please, if you'd like" Voice, etc.)
    I'm a big fan of a particular sports radio show where they effectively trash the typical sports nut. It's quite fun, and they really get into the nuts and bolts of sports which I really like. I also notice that you didn't list "left wing idiot blather". Consciously, or unconsciously??? Hmmmmm? ;)

I was a huge "Kiss" fan, and had most of their albums through the 70's having started collecting them at around 7 years old. But my musical tastes really developed when I first heard the Moody Blues "The Voice", off their album "Long Distance Voyager". I heard it on the radio, and told my dad I wanted the record. My dad nearly cried in elation that it wasn't Kiss and we immediately went and bought it. Then I got onto Rush, then turned into a punk rocker in high school, and pretended to like whatever bands my girlfriends were into. Then I played at metal head a bit and really liked the hardcore metal of the 80's (not the glam crap unless it let me cop a feel from a girl). So, here's a sampling you could find in my cassette case.

Just because you don't understand the data doesn't mean it's not relevant.

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniVanMan View Post
    I'm a big fan of a particular sports radio show where they effectively trash the typical sports nut. It's quite fun, and they really get into the nuts and bolts of sports which I really like. I also notice that you didn't list "left wing idiot blather". Consciously, or unconsciously??? Hmmmmm? ;)
    Does that exist on the radio? Perhaps it does, I don't know. In print and elsewhere, certainly.

Though to be fair there isn't much of a left wing in the U.S. There's a small center-right that's dwarfed by the far right and the wacko anti-intellectual right. So you really have to go to international sources for left-wing idiot blather.