Thread: Netgear WN3000RP WiFi Range Extender

Real Name
    Adam

Netgear WN3000RP WiFi Range Extender

This little device was released a couple days ago and I bought one yesterday. It extends wireless coverage of your existing b/g/n network. Setup tookas couple minutes through the browser based menus. When finished I had full wifi coverage out in the yard and more importantly in the back bedroom where we previously had a dead zone (signal has to go through several interior walls then two brick facades).

The extended network portion is slower due to the repeating operation, but it's still plenty fast to stream videos to a couple devices at once. I know there are more cost effective solutions, but for $69 this was quick and effective.

You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

since i moved in with the in-laws while the wife and i are waiting on a house to close, i "ddwrt-ed" my five year old linksys router and was able to achieve similar, if not the same, results. . i was tempted to buy one of those repeaters, but with that custom firmware i was able to use my wireless router as a wireless repeater. i didn't even need to physically connect the routers. instead i placed the wireless repeater within a good enough position to the main router and the computers and phones pick up the repeated signal just fine. i must confess though that although the solution was "free" now i did "invest" about $120 on the router in the first place.

similar results as yours, a little bit slower throughput but the consistency of the connection itself was better. previously web pages would fail to load now, some just take longer. overall better situation as a whole. that and and there are two teenage boys here almost constantly playing some online game or netflix. i could only imagine yours is just fine with you and the wife, unless the child has developed quickly...

i don't really know if this has any relevancy, but repeaters do work and are definitely a viable option if considering one. mind the sig and it's late on a friday night.
    i should really stay off of forums after a few drinks.

Real Name
    Adam
    That's the alternative solution I was looking at. Unfortunately I sold my WRT54G to a roommate a few years ago.

Throughput on the repeater is not noticeably slower than our main network since we probably only use a small fraction of the bandwidth available to begin with. AppleTV is our biggest wireless bandwidth hog but it operates on the main network. I can echo your comment about stability. That was the biggest frustration before and now it's a non-issue.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg