Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creative Sound Solutions SDX10

Creative Sound Solutions SDX10

http://creativesound.ca/pdf/CSS-SDX10-data-140408.pdf

The sub is solid, heavy, and all black. No ugly plastic logo dustcap. Binding posts for connections. Build quality seems very good. A huge attraction of this driver is that it is available BNIB for $149CDN three day shipped in Canada.

The SDX10 replaced two cheesy steel basket Orion 10" subwoofers installed in a a PG prefab sealed box. The only things the Orions had that it doesn't were pole vent filters.

I used the PG prefab box for the SDX10. It is a two chambered box with .75" walls and pretty solid since it's only 1.6 cubes total so each wall is pretty short.

First I tried the SDX10 sealed in .76ish cubes. It sounded much better than the Orions, digging deeper and integrating perfectly with the fronts. I could shift the infrasonic filter down to 15 hz from the 50! I had it set to for the otherwise one-note Orions. Not a lot of output though.

Inspired by Chad's original DIYMA review of the Dayton 10" HO, I went ahead and ported the box. I perforated the divider and built a blockoff plate for the second 10" hole. The box is basically just on the suggested size for the driver, so I went with an external port tuned to 24 hz. It consists primarily of 3" ABS elbows - and because it struck me as funny - a closet flange for a "flared" transition to the box. It looks completely retarded, but there is no sign of any port noise, probably because it is barely getting 150 watts from my pawn shop digital Alpine Monoblock.

Ported, the SDX10 digs really low, and has a surprising amount of output - feel it in your chest output. It is entirely musical and integrates well with the fronts. The sub blends so well with the mids that the character of the system has changed completely (for the better). I checked the result quickly with Synrta and it showed reasonably flat to 20hz in car.

Only very rarely does the the sub draw attention to itself. Generally all bass is from the front or simply filling the cabin in the case of some organ pedal notes.

I gave it a workout with RATM "Renegades" and heard stuff I never had before. I'm a happy camper. I think this sub kicks butt for the price.

Obligatory comparison shots of the SDX 10 and one of the Orions it replaced:

Last edited by 86mr2; 10-21-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: added pics

Real Name
    Adam
    That's a pretty beefy 10 and according to the specs it's as strong as it looks. The basket reminds me of the top portion of the w10gti. Definitely makes for a nice small vented enclosure at the recommended 43 liters.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

I have not had enough experience with subs in cars to really give it the review it deserves. I think with more power it would cheerfully kick my butt.

I actually posted a WTB for a W10GTI. I may look at this fellow a little closer. It's cheaper new than a used GTI. It looks a lot like the power series or whatever they were called by JBL. The same as the inifinity perfect maybe??
    Last edited by imjustjason; 09-11-2010 at 09:09 PM.

Founding Member
    No, not the same as the Infinities. I'm pretty sure the SDX woofers are a Dan Wiggins design. (Or at least from his consultancy, ADI.) XBL^2 motor, and CSS has a history of working with Wiggins just like Kevin Haskins (Exodus Audio).

The basket is also not exactly the same one JBL uses, at least based on the SDX15 vs. the W15GTi. The spokes look the same but the rim is different. JBL's is finished and has very recessed screw holes. Can't really rear-mount a W15GTi. CSS's looks a little different, and has the standard wrap-around gasket.

The SDX10 does look like a very solid 10.

Available at Meniscus for $135 USD.

Wonder how this and the Dayton compare.

It's deep.

That's what she said.

I had to.

"Inspired by Chad's original DIYMA review of the Dayton 10" HO, I went ahead and ported the box. I perforated the divider and built a blockoff plate for the second 10" hole. The box is basically just on the suggested size for the driver, so I went with an external port tuned to 24 hz. It consists primarily of 3" ABS elbows - and because it struck me as funny - a closet flange for a "flared" transition to the box. It looks completely retarded, but there is no sign of any port noise, probably because it is barely getting 150 watts from my pawn shop digital Alpine Monoblock."

Could you post a picture of your box? Just so there's no confusion, I mean the enclosure with external port that houses the SDX-10...

Thanks,

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by stoeszilla View Post
    Could you post a picture of your box? Just so there's no confusion, I mean the enclosure with external port that houses the SDX-10...

Thanks,

Chris
    But it will lead to demoralizing ridicule of my build, wire management and general character...