Thread: What adhesive to secure plastic filler piece to plastic radio bezel?

What adhesive to secure plastic filler piece to plastic radio bezel?

Ok now I'm a bit gun shy with fiberglassing closed an opening on my radio bezel. Last time I glued a piece of 1/2" birch plywood in the opening, then glassed over it with fiberglass reinforced bondo. Well it stress cracked because I didn't use fabric over the 2 pieces. I mainly avoided this because of the build-up.

Well I bought a new bezel, and have less to cover up this time. I have about a 1.5" x 6" opening that's slightly curved to seal up. Given the decorative detail of the opening I think I can use some 1/16" abs plastic sheet and cut a filler piece... Maybe just use some kind of 2 part epoxy to glue it in place and then just fill the gap?

Any ideas?

The top opening is what I need to fill in.
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Nexus 7 | DAC | miniDSP | Aura MR2150 x 3 | NRT18-8 | RS180-4 | neo8-s

I used a plastic epoxy, it stays somewhat flexible.. IIRC it's made by Perma-Poxy.

Cool. Might give it a shot. Luckily this time around the piece I'm attaching wont be bearing any weight. So it should stay without cracking.
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

From what I understand when using ABS to ABS I can just purchase ABS plumbing cement? Then if I need it thicker premix it with ABS shavings?

Real Name
    Adam
    That's my basic understanding regarding the abs cement, assuming there is a pressure fit and you're not having to deal with gaps or irregular surfaces. There are some thicker adhesives that work when the surface is irregular (IPS 4707). I am not clear on whether adding shavings is kosher for thickening.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Real Name
    David
    hot glue black abs plastic sheet cut to fit

Quote Originally Posted by BowDown View Post
    Ok now I'm a bit gun shy with fiberglassing closed an opening on my radio bezel. Last time I glued a piece of 1/2" birch plywood in the opening, then glassed over it with fiberglass reinforced bondo. Well it stress cracked because I didn't use fabric over the 2 pieces. I mainly avoided this because of the build-up.

Well I bought a new bezel, and have less to cover up this time. I have about a 1.5" x 6" opening that's slightly curved to seal up. Given the decorative detail of the opening I think I can use some 1/16" abs plastic sheet and cut a filler piece... Maybe just use some kind of 2 part epoxy to glue it in place and then just fill the gap?

Any ideas?

The top opening is what I need to fill in.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trm-8115

yes use 1/8" abs if u can,1/16" will buckle with sun/heat,or if you use epoxy, coat backside of piece with epoxy after you fasten it to dash trim.