Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dual Sound Card CarPC Hardware Selection

Founding Member
    I built a 5 sided case and used metal mesh over the top for ventilation. It took a bit of rigging to get the PCI card stable. There are cases now for itx with 2 PCI slots, but you get screwed when it comes to m-atx. The slim cases are not really that slim and the PCI slots are usually half height. I personally think you could possibly modify an ITX case to fit a m-atx but the deciding factor would be how close the PCI cards get to the processor heatsink. You would need flexible PCI riser cards.

Expandable Cases

Here is an example of one you could maybe modify. If the PSU does not fit maybe you could make it external?
    http://www.logicsupply.com/products/2766

Another option is to get a rack mount case and make the case smaller. Either way if you want compact I think you will be doing some customizing. There was a guy on mp3car that used to do custom sized cases but his pricing was fairly high IIRC. No idea if he is still around.

Real Name
    Adam
    With those mini-itx cases wouldn't I be required to use a riser to get two pci slots? I thought we had cringed at that idea before, but I'm open to it if it means a smaller package overall.

The flexible riser on the m-atx seems like a good solution to get a thinner package. I need to look up the dimensions for the CPU cooler included with the AMD processor and see whether moving the pci cards will gain much. I'm assuming at this point that it would be a decent gain.

I've got no problem fabbing my own. My biggest concern was supporting the pci cards but the flexible riser could make that a non-issue. I could easily see the CarPC being broken into several different boxes to aid in placement and maybe noise reduction.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Founding Member
    I was referring to 2 of these
    Logic Supply - Leaders in Mini-ITX & Small Form Factor Solutions

vs not 1 of these
    Logic Supply - Leaders in Mini-ITX & Small Form Factor Solutions

The price is ok, but I swear I have seen them for about 50% that elsewhere.

Real Name
    Adam
    Got it. I searched around and found some single pci flexible risers for about $12. From what I've read it sounds like the micro-atx and mini-itx actually share some mounting points so adapting one of the small cases to house the motherboard and a few other things probably wouldn't be too hard.

I think I'd probably look have the power supply, disc drive and maybe a media hard drive in separate enclosure(s).

I've got several spare 3.5" internal hard drives I could use for media. For the OS and applications does it make sense to spring for a small SSD or just look at a modestly sized 2.5/3.5 hard drive like the WD Scorpio/Caviar black?
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

If you can afford it I would look for as large of a SSD drive as you need. Using the standard drives you run the risk of hitting a pot hole or bump just right and there goes your drive. Having said that I only have a 30GB SSD drive for OS and apps and a 1TB standard for music/videos and it hasnt failed me yet, although I have added some shock absorption where the case is and around the Hard drive. I am honestly surprised that it has lasted me this long, I have been expecting the 1TB drive to fail on me, I always cringe when I hit a pot hole hard, lol.

Real Name
    Adam
    I was thinking I'd grab a 64GB model like this: Newegg.com - Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Then maybe a 500 or 750 gb WD scorpio black: Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Black WD5000BEKT 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Am I correct in thinking that some of the mobile drives are more likely to cope with shock? I know they park the heads off the platters when off or spinning up or down, but it also seems that WD is touting some "shockguard" technology that protects the platters while in use. I assume this is a form of platter coating like other drives use, but I'm mostly guessing.

there certainly are some drives better than others as far as how much shock they can take, but honestly in a vehicle environment I think its pretty negligible, they all suck, lol. Compare the average shock resistence of standard drives is around 40-60G's, SSD drives are 1500G's. I couldnt tell you what kind of shock we get in the car, but its enough to fail standard drives pretty often, I seen on mp3car about many people having failures. But I think if you take precautions and cushion around the case and the mount for the Hard drive you should be alright.

Real Name
    Adam
    I think I'll feel pretty good with the OS and applications on the SSD. The media on the standard drive would just be a copy of stuff I have on other drives so a failure wouldn't be a disaster.

Are you guys using standard anti-vibration grommets or are you going to more elaborate anti-shock mounts? I read some of the discussions about vertical versus horizontal mounting and while I think a lot of people say it's inconclusive as to which is better, my engineer side says to go vertical w/ the drive spindle parallel to the vehicle axle.

Founding Member
    I have not seen many complaints about hard drives failing because of shocks. It's one of those urban myths circulated and it's like amplifier debates that pop up every 6 months. Temperature extremes are the biggest culprit of issues, I can see the advantage of SSD drives and $60 extra is not that big of a deal if you want piece of mind.

I use a nothing special 250GB seagate 3.5" mounted to a rigid structure right behind the rear shock absorber. I might have used some small rubber grommets at the mounting points, but don't recall. The suspension is stiff too. No problems even going over railroad tracks. I once had a problem with the pins on the molex plug making poor contact. I fixed that right up. I use a removed 5.25" drawer to pull the drive out and pop it in the home PC from time to time.

I went vertical due to space reasons. There have been debates about vertical over horizontal but no exact proof one is better.
    Last edited by durwood; 07-07-2011 at 11:05 PM.

This is true. SSD isn't immune to failure.. but the odds are defiantly more in your favor. Imagine spending countless hours tweaking, and troubleshooting to have your hard drive take a dump cause winter came along.
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Nexus 7 | DAC | miniDSP | Aura MR2150 x 3 | NRT18-8 | RS180-4 | neo8-s