Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dual Sound Card CarPC Hardware Selection

Real Name
    Adam
    Quote Originally Posted by durwood View Post
    I use a nothing special 250GB seagate 3.5" mounted to a rigid structure right behind the rear shock absorber. I might have used some small rubber grommets at the mounting points, but don't recall. The suspension is stiff too. No problems even going over railroad tracks. I once had a problem with the pins on the molex plug making poor contact. I fixed that right up. I use a removed 5.25" drawer to pull the drive out and pop it in the home PC from time to time.
    I need to think about how I would mount the media drive to allow easy removal. I was debating last night whether to use a small external enclosure with USB/FireWire/esata connections and just pull the whole enclosure, or do I use a bare drive and just plug it into my esata drive dock at my desktop. Strongly leaning toward the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by BowDown View Post
    This is true. SSD isn't immune to failure.. but the odds are defiantly more in your favor. Imagine spending countless hours tweaking, and troubleshooting to have your hard drive take a dump cause winter came along.
    That's my exact fear. With all the hassle that these things can be to set up, I'd probably have a borderline emotional reaction to a main drive failure. Good backup regimens will help too.
    Last edited by Adam_MSS; 07-08-2011 at 08:47 AM.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Real Name
    Adam
    What did you guys do for AM/FM radio? I was thinking cheap head unit with line level output run to soundcard input.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_MSS View Post
    What did you guys do for AM/FM radio? I was thinking cheap head unit with line level output run to soundcard input.
    That will be a good option.. I ran a WinTV which has a cable style coax connection on it. I created an adapter to go from coax to my car's powered antenna. Worked out pretty well. The only trick is you need to run an 1/8" stereo cable from the WinTV to the Line-In on the soundcard. Otherwise it's mono ultra low bitrate through USB.

I removed the tuner because I'm going to run the HU for FM/CD. If interested I can send it to you for $15 shipped.
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Nexus 7 | DAC | miniDSP | Aura MR2150 x 3 | NRT18-8 | RS180-4 | neo8-s

Founding Member
    I always forget I have a tuner but I use the DIRECTED DMHD1000 HD Radio. Visteon also makes the same thing, can be had all over ebay for $35 shipped. Then buy the usb serial control cable that allows you to use it with Ride (Road) Runner, Centrafuse and open mobile front ends.

MJS Gadgets Shop

That is only to control it, audio connection goes to line-in on your soundcard.

This of course is good if you want something more integrated and you plan to use any of those front ends and $75 is ok for a tuner. There are more tuners supported, but I don't know how well the reception is.

MJS is currently the person updating and maintaining road runner.
    Last edited by durwood; 07-08-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Real Name
    Adam
    Found the Visteon for $21 so it's on the way. Thanks.

Real Name
    Alan
    What kind of display are you guys using? I was looking a projected capacitive made by Touch International. Futureelectronics.com used to have some of their 10.4" evaluation kits mounted on an acrylic display board for around $240 which could be hacked and fabbed into the dash. TI recently started making multi-touch projected capacitive and I was waiting to see how much they would cost, but it looks like Future Electronics never carried them. I may email TI directly to see where to buy.

Real Name
    Adam
    I've only just started looking, but the lilliput 839 seems decent for around $200.

Real Name
    Alan
    I've got a Xenarc 700IDT, I just need a carPC to go along with it :nosepick:

Screen is one of the more important parts of the Car PC, my advice is - dont cheap out on it. Honestly for a good quality daylight viewable screen your gonna spend at least $5-700 unless you get used/open box/etc...

Take it from someone who did cheap out on the screen and regretted it, lol.

Real Name
    Adam
    Lost an ebay auction for a 1010lt today.:argh:

Drake, any particular screens you would recommend. I'm a long way from purchasing one but I'd like to keep my eyes open for deals.