Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dual Sound Card CarPC Hardware Selection

Real Name
    Adam

Dual Sound Card CarPC Hardware Selection

Starting this thread so I don't totally derail the more processing focused thread here: http://www.mobilesoundscience.com/f4...ut-ms-8-a-770/

Looking to have the ability to run two sound cards and support 16 channels of processing. Some extra horsepower would be a good thing.

I'm looking at the following:

Processor:
    AMD Athlon II X2 250
    Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor ADX250OCGMBOX

PassMark CPU Lookup

Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A78LT-M
    Newegg.com - ASUS M4A78LT-M AM3 AMD 760G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

MSI 760GM-E51
    Newegg.com - MSI 760GM-E51 AM3 AMD 760G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Power Supply:
    I'm not sure about sizing here. Processor is 65w.
    Looking at the Opus offerings. Based on desktop builds using this motherboard, it seems like the total system draw gets up around 119 watts using a similar processor (ASUS M4A78LT-M LE review: Test setup and Phenom II X3 710 overclocking results) so maybe a 150 watt supply is the way to go.

Opus Solutions - 150W DC-DC Triple Output Power Supply - Opus Solutions, Inc.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Power Supply wise you really want at least double what your system will pull. So if your looking at 119 Watts as you say then shoot for at least a 200W, preferably 250W. You do this so that you dont push the power supply too hard and kill the life of it.

What two sound cards are you looking at?

Real Name
    Adam
    Dual 1010lt sound cards is an option I'd like to be able to evaluate. I'd also like to compare the 1010lt to the xonar dx to see if the snr difference is audible. Thanks for the guidance on the power supply. :thumbsup:
    Last edited by Adam_MSS; 07-07-2011 at 04:48 AM.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_MSS View Post
    Dual 1010lt sound cards is an option I'd like to be able to evaluate. I'd also like to compare the 1010lt to the xonar dx to see if the snr difference is audible. Thanks for the guidance on the power supply. :thumbsup:
    Good man, after much research I found that the delta 1010lt's are the most economical sound cards that are capable of clock syncing together. I recently just went from a single card setup to a dual. I had the Xonar D2x previous and to be honest I liked the xonar card better, but I have yet to swap opamps out on the Delta's. I might mess with them later, want to get it setup in the car first before I do that

Real Name
    Adam
    Awesome. I was having a hard time finding anyone who had been successful with dual cards in a CarPC. Looks like you're my guy. I'd love to hear any information you'd care to share about your setup and how you've gotten there.

You can read some of the thought process that led to me pursuing this CarPC thing @ http://www.mobilesoundscience.com/f4...ut-ms-8-a-770/

Founding Member
    You need an ATX power supply not the sub atx, there are not enough voltage rails on that model opus to support your board. DSATX is another good option. The M2-ATX should be fine as well but if you want FM radio it has too many complaints of interfering due to noise on all the power lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_MSS View Post
    Awesome. I was having a hard time finding anyone who had been successful with dual cards in a CarPC. Looks like you're my guy. I'd love to hear any information you'd care to share about your setup and how you've gotten there.

You can read some of the thought process that led to me pursuing this CarPC thing @ http://www.mobilesoundscience.com/f4...ut-ms-8-a-770/
    Thats because they dont exist! lol :p But seriously I couldnt find anyone attempting to do that either so for me up to this point has been a great deal of trial and error. I was ignorant to the whole clock sync thing until 4 months back. Most of the pieces of equipment that could do what I wanted were ridiculously expensive. You can check out my build log on DIYMA here: 02 Optima Carputer install - DIYMA.com - Scientific Car Audio - Truth in Sound Quality

I have the build log on here but I dont think its as much up to date.

Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks for catching that, Durwood. I'm showing off lack of knowledge when it comes to PC building. DSATX looks good. 220 watts should be in the ballpark of what I need as I don't plan push the system too hard.

Is it common to fab your own case for these installations? I've been looking around and the form factor for most of the micro atx cases isn't very appealing. I think I could make it more suitable for a trunk install by getting everything side by side. Height would be dictated by motherboard, CPU/cooler, and pci-cards (I think).

Some people do, I have been content with the cases I have seen so far, but it is difficult to find that perfect case that fits everything inside of it you want and fits where you want in your vehicle. Some are very cheaply made while others are way too expensive to justify the cost. I am lazy so I buy premade cases, lol.

Keeping my fingers crossed my H700 works as well as I want. Otherwise this thread/project might land me in divorce court.
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Nexus 7 | DAC | miniDSP | Aura MR2150 x 3 | NRT18-8 | RS180-4 | neo8-s