Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Dual Sound Card CarPC Hardware Selection

Real Name
    Adam
    I think that screen looks totally reasonable. It really doesn't fare any worse than the stock LCD display up top showing the time. I don't expect mine will be used for any video. I'll just have to see what the best value proposition is when it's time to buy.

Thanks for looking up the processor temp rating. I feel better about it now. Has anyone ever tried to route some small ductwork to pull cabin air back to a trunk mounted PC? I saw a water cooled setup in one thread but that offended most of my engineering sensibilities (those that remain, at least).

A few more questions because I started thinking about disc drives and input devices today during a flight. Do you guys have remotely mounted disc drives to allow you to play CDs if you so desire? If not, do you install software via flash drives or wifi download? Are you guys using all on-screen controls during day to day use, or is something like the griffin powermate (Amazon.com: Griffin Technology NA16029 PowerMate USB Multimedia Controller: Electronics) a good addition for control? I assume a glove box mounted USB hub would be handy for plugging in a keyboard and mouse (or a wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

Sorry for the scattered thoughts. On very little sleep at the moment.
    Last edited by Adam_MSS; 07-11-2011 at 05:28 PM.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Founding Member
    I've got a slim slot load DVD burner in the armrest compartment. It fits perfectly in my car. I can't remember the last time it was used...maybe 4 years ago at a comp? They can be somewhat loud compared to a normal CD player when spinning.

I use steering wheel controls via a Fusion brain. One analog channel used out of all it's features. The rest is touch screen and occasional mouse/keyboard for tweaking things.

Other hardware options
    -Powermate (might be too big)
    -Joycon steering wheel (again size looks big)
    -CDRskull's joypad software with a USB game controller
    -Logitech Nulooq
    -Build your own controller PS/2 or USB GroovyGameGear.com, Always the best in Arcade, Jukebox, Kiosk, Gaming and Industrial controls

I should have mentioned, you will want something to delay turn on your amps, but instant off to avoid pops. Maybe the 1010lt is better and this isn't needed, but I don't know. Pac TR7, DEI pulse timer...

yep, that picture durwood posted is exactly what a cheap screen looks like in daylight, it gets worse when the sun reflects directly off of it. That is a generous picture IMO. Heck I had white pieces of paper on my passenger seat that reflected off the screen and made it worthless, I have light color seats too so when light bounces off of them onto the screen, well you can imagine. But you can see colors look washed out, contrast is non-existent. Maybe my standards are too high, but I dont think so

Real Name
    Adam
    Still haven't pulled the trigger on the first few pieces yet. Trying to decide whether to go with the Llano, or just stick with the more basic dual core processor I was looking at originally. The Llano is very high on the performance/$ scale.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Founding Member
    If the Llano is sucking juice from the 12V rail, you would need to upgrade your power supply to one of the higher wattage models, the M2-ATX won't cut it. I am not entirely sure you NEED the extra processing power...if the improvement is on the graphics side then I can say you definitely don't need it. As it looks, you are finding it difficult to match older hardware with newer motherboards when you start trying to go top of the line. (i.e. 2 PCI slots) This is normal in the computer world. I haven't looked to see what is equivalent in the PCI-E form factor.
    Last edited by durwood; 07-25-2011 at 12:16 PM.