Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MiniDSP 2x8

Founding Member
    That's easy. You test analog in to analog out with the entire unit bypassed to see if there is a change. Then you run analog in to digital out 1 which is wired into digital input which is routed to the analog output and start over. Any original changes tracked from Ain to Aout are subtracted.

I see. But I would need the connection cable to go from digital out to digital in.

Founding Member
    You would need that, yes.

Here's something I forgot to post. The 2x8 has a remote turn-on feature with a delayed output trigger. With the old one you had to power it with the remote lead. With this one you can power it with +12V and trigger it on like other equipment. The remote output has a 2 second delay to avoid pops, both on power-up and power-down.

Two seconds is pretty short, compared with Audison's 9 seconds, which is unnecessarily long. Sometimes I can hear the tail end of the Zapco i-force amp shutting down, though it's faint and the pop is gone.

What the manual doesn't say is that the little black jumper above the green power terminals is a short from +12V to remote on, thus it turns on the DSP as soon as it is powered. I thought the feature didn't work properly for a while, until I removed that jumper, and now it behaves the way you would want for car audio.

I would love to use one of these as a simple multi input car audio "preamp" into an MS-8. If they could come out with a firmware update to add a source selection hardware toggle trigger input, it would be perfect.

I'd use it to send a digital signal from an iDevice (that is controlled from the OEM head unit) AND the OEM head unit signal into the other input. Then use a DPST relay wired to an OEM source button in order to switch between the OEM source and the minidsp source simultaneously.

With the added bonus of having a 4-way DSP to use if the MS-8 is incompatible with my setup.

(Master volume control would be done further down the signal chain.)

Founding Member
    wait, the Bit1 takes 9 seconds to start up? or 9 seconds for the delay rem output to click on? That's terrible!

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    wait, the Bit1 takes 9 seconds to start up? or 9 seconds for the delay rem output to click on? That's terrible!
    My tube driver blue amp I had would soft start for 10 seconds. Now that was a long time.
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Nexus 7 | DAC | miniDSP | Aura MR2150 x 3 | NRT18-8 | RS180-4 | neo8-s

I just looked at the manual again, and it's only 7 seconds. Not sure why I remembered 9.

Prbly felt like 9.
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Nexus 7 | DAC | miniDSP | Aura MR2150 x 3 | NRT18-8 | RS180-4 | neo8-s

Founding Member
    the tube crack was the followup. 7 seconds is unacceptable startup time for a car stereo. May as well be running durwood's computer at that point.