Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All About Fiberglass

Real Name
    Alan

Lightbulb All About Fiberglass

I thought that I would post some interesting reading. Also, if anybody could pass along some tips and tricks, that would be great.

http://www.fiberlay.com/howto/Fiberg...ning-Guide.pdf (pages 9-10 are interesting)

http://www.derakane.com/downloadServ...ullVersion.pdf

Founding Member
    Good reads. Nice job on the first PDF to give a good description of the different types of resin. Also like the small section on carbon fiber even though it's is woefully lacking in detail it does cover the basics and gives people an idea.

Founding Member
    Here is a great document that has been floating around over on racing composites.net (I had to split it into two files to meet the size limitations).

oystal_1.pdf
    oystal_2.pdf

This may sound stupid and completely elementary but mattyjman pointed out in my build log that chopped mat is infinitely easier to mold if you tear it rather than cut it. That single bit of advice has helped me more with laying down glass than any other I can think of.
    Last edited by trevordj; 09-04-2010 at 12:35 AM.
    -Trevor

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trevordj View Post
    This may sound stupid and completely elementary but mattyjman pointed out in my build log that chopped mat is infinitely easier to mold if you tear it rather than cut it. That single bit of advice has helped me more with laying down glass than any other I can think of.
    It seems pretty obvious after the fact, but it took me three different builds before I realized that. It's been smooth sailing ever since. BTW, I don't know how you do it. 8 months into your build and your close, but not quite finished. Going three months would have driven me absolutely nuts. Excellent execution in your build, Trevor.

Founding Member
    Thanks Matty! While I would have preferred not to have no music in my car for the last 8 months, I have a feeling in the end it will be worth it.

After you told me this little trick I remembered thinking "It's so obvious, why didn't I do this before?" Not only does it save time from meticulously having to cut out individual pieces of glass, but it is just easier to work with, especially around edges and curves. That simple bit of advice has saved me countless hours of unnecessary work. Did I say thank you yet? THANK YOU! Seriously it is the best fabrication advice I have been given throughout the duration of my build.
    -Trevor

Real Name
    Alan
    I also read about another neat trick....to ad rigidity to a flat surface, glass over a few pieces of nylon rope. This will create stiffening ridges. Just take care to get all the air bubbles out.

Founding Member
    I thought I read over on FGF that the rope trick didn't actually work. I can't remember which thread it was in, maybe I am making it up.
    -Trevor

Real Name
    Alan
    I don't know for sure, I've never tried it. When I read it, I thought it was a good idea.

You need a cloth type rope. I did something like that in 02 or so and it did ok.

I know a couple really really really interesting fiberglass tricks that will make your work about 300% easier. Just have to find the time to do a project with it and take pictures.

I would probably get blasted for posting it though...some people pay an asston of money for a fab class to learn it (it was passed down to me 2nd hand from someone who went to said fab class/training).

^ I'm all ears. This week and next consist of a decent bit of fiberglass work for me.