Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All About Fiberglass

Founding Member
    ^ me as well... My order comes from us composites on Tuesday, so if you have tips, please share

I doubt anyone on this forum would get mad at you for divulging your secrets, in fact I know at least three of us would be happy to hear what you have to say

Real Name
    Adam
    Couple simple tips from an amateur:

CA glue is a quick way to attach fleece to the back side of a mold as you stretch it across the front.

Mix in small batches. I've never been upset because I had to stop and mix up some additional resin. I've been upset by tossing stuff that started to gel in the container (and sometimes caused me to rush).

I'm also looking at using something like this rather than masking tape for covering carpeted surfaces during the molding phase going forward. I've had resin wick through tiny gaps in blue masking tape on two occasions now and I'd like a better solution.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I'm also looking at using something like this rather than masking tape for covering carpeted surfaces during the molding phase going forward. I've had resin wick through tiny gaps in blue masking tape on two occasions now and I'd like a better solution.
    OMG! That would save SOO much time. Adam, you are one smart man. I wonder if you can get that at HD?

And if you do get resin on something, clean it off with WD-40. Only works while it is wet.

If sanding glass makes you itch, put some talc powder on your arms before sanding. It will keep the tiny guys from getting in your skin and making you itch.

Founding Member
    Some more simple tips: outline the area of your mold with a sharpie prior to glass. It will leave a nice black line you can use to guide trimming.

Prep a much wider area than you think you should. Nothing worse than realizing you didn't prep far enough midway through lying down glass. Use mold release wax.

Lay glass down at least several inches past Your defined boundary.

I have found it much easier to lay several layers of thinner material rather than fewer layers of thicker material.

You can lay down several layers of glass at once.
    -Trevor

Good info in this thread, pretty soon I'll be doing my biggest glass project yet, and will definitely need to catch up on my reading.
    Experiments should be repeatable: they should fail the same way every time.

Founding Member
    Alternative to tearing mat into pieces: You can cut it, then loosen the fibers by gripping the mat and moving your hands in opposite directions. This is particularly helpful if using a thick mat.

I wish I knew more about the process or various processes of attaching the front layers to the form for the most strength and reliability. Also, how do people give strength to the speaker ring; what the best way to support it?
    Last edited by schmiddr2; 10-26-2010 at 03:01 PM.

Real Name
    Adam
    Quote Originally Posted by schmiddr2 View Post
    I wish I knew more about the process or various processes of attaching the front layers to the form for the most strength and reliability. Also, how do people give strength to the speaker ring; what the best way to support it?
    I typically bring a couple layers of fiberglass mat over the front of the rings, then on the interior walls I attach mat and bring it up onto the rear of the ring except where my fasteners are going to go. Even if you went over the fastener locations it would be fine to just drill through. I've put a little extra resin in toward the end of building and then rolled the enclosure around to get it to flow along the sides of the mounting rings.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

I've done 3 glass projects so far, but that tip on pulling the mat apart instead of using it in cut peices is priceless! I never considered it before, but it makes perfect sense.