Thread: VW premium 7 integration

VW premium 7 integration

hi, i am having a problem with noise (alternator whine & buzz with headlights) with an added amp to my hu.
    i have the premium head unit without the premium system,(no amp) so i decided to add an amp.
    i use passive loc's from parts express soldered to the outputs from the back of the hu.
    i checked and cleaned grounds, ran a test ground cable outside the car to the battery, grounded hu case to chassis, grounded hu ground wire to chassis, did both at the same time....no luck.
    the only thing that even lessened it a little was grounding the hu case to chassis, but it was very minor.

now ive read that when coded to be used with the oem amp these switch to a line out level that is common-ground. from what i can tell that means that it should be +L,+R & Ground, but even connected to the amp the pinouts call for a + & - for each input?

also testing last night i found if i remove the - lead from hu to loc, it still works(music comes from that channel)?? does that mean anything as to figure out wtf is going on here?

everywhere else ive looked has told me to just get a transformer based loc, and i refuse to believe that is the only way.

sorry for the long first post, but this has been haunting me for about a month now, and i hate it. plus im about to take a 4 hr trip tonight and i know it will annoy the sheit out of me the whole way,(mostly because im sure my wife will want the AC on, and you dont notice the buzz/whine with the windows down)

btw, this is an 07 VW GTI

thanks for any help

Real Name
    Adam
    What happens if you make a connection from the rca ground (shell) on the output side of the LOC to the HU-case/chassis? I'd just test it by attaching a wire to a ground location, then connect one rca to the LOC and fire up the system. I'd check for any voltage between that ground wire and the LOC rca ground (should be effectively zero). Then I'd touch the ground wire to the shell.

Here's an example of something conceptually similar:

BTW, how do you like your GTI? I test drove one and thought it was a blast but I like hearing owner opinions.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Sorry,i thought i had subscribed to this... Nothing seems to happen. I'm beginning to think this is a active balanced output. Because I'm getting sound with just one lead, and if i switch it, it doesn't matter, i still get sound. I just got the cable to code over my hu to low power outputs, so i will be trying that here soon with just the + to the amp replacing the - with ground to unbalance it.Btw, i love my GTI. Its fun to drive and gets good MPG too. Maintenance could be expensive if i didn't do it myself, but i enjoy that stuff. Hopefully soon ill be one of the first few in the US to flash my own ecu with my own custom maps. Also if your serious, get a warranty. My AC has already gone out (known problem in all 07 vw's) they said it was under recall, but just in case.

Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks for the feedback on the GTI. It's looking more attractive and it doesn't hurt that Jeremy Clarkson called it "a sensation".

Is the cable you mentioned to allow you to use the VAG-com software?
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

You're not going to magically change the topology of the output circuit with recoding. All it's going to do is, a la BMW, lower the voltage of the output. Electrically, a BTL speaker output and a balanced preamp output are similar enough that that's the trick they are doing.

You are shorting the (-) legs to ground, methinks. I wouldn't use a passive device at all, I'd use an active in device of some type. Quite a few balanced in line drivers out there at the moment.

Adam, I still don't get notifications of new posts. I can't figure it out
    "Of course, the laws of science contain no matter and have no energy either and therefore do not exist except in people's minds. It's best to be completely scientific about the whole thing and refuse to believe in either ghosts or the laws of science. That way you're safe. That doesn't leave you very much to believe in, but that's scientific too."

Real Name
    Adam
    I'll see what I can do on my end to get the notifications working.

Real Name
    Adam
    Changed a couple settings. Let me know if you continue to have issues with the subscription notifications.

yes the cable is a china clone vagcom cable.

i was able to recode it to low level, but that didnt help.
    i ended up using a PAC SOEM-4 to convert the signal to a normal one.
    its works, but i still have a very slight whine and headlight buzz. its barely noticable, but still there.
    i think it has something to do with the aux in ground, or the sat receiver ground. i get a high pitched beeping/ interference noise with the aux input setting with the volume up, but nothing playing. but when its on the sat radio setting that noise is not there.

MSS Supporting Vendor SyracuseCustoms's Avatar
    My partner has a 2010 Golf TDI with OEM head unit and basic 6 speaker setup. We added a Audison BITone with no noise issues what so ever. Is there any other factory connections to the stock head unit ? Steering wheel controls, Aux input, Sat Radio, OE illumination connection...... I ask because I would try to isolate the head unit from the factory connections one by one I would even get power harness for the stock unit use the power and ground connections from the amplifiers. You will begin to see what is inducing the noise.
    ***** AUTHORIZED DEALER FOR *****
    ARC AUDIO - ADDICTIVE AUDIO - TRU TECHNOLOGY - BRAX - HELIX - DYNAUDIO - GERMAN MAESTRO - PHOENIX GOLD - JVC - STINGER
    ** TERRITORY RESTRICTIONS APPLY **
    :Jackhammer:CUSTOM FABRICATION: WOOD, STEEL, ALUMINUM,FIBERGLASS & PLEXI :Jackhammer: