Thread: 2006 Chrysler 300 Boston Acoustics system with Nav

2006 Chrysler 300 Boston Acoustics system with Nav

This system is a bit complicated. The HU has a fixed-level speaker output to the Boston Acoustics amp in the driver's side underdash/kick. This output is L and R only - no front or rear.

There are 6x9 woofers in the door, mid/tweets up high. These are on different output channels from the amp and there are active filters. I estimate the crossover point from the 6x9 woofer to the 2/3" cone driver to be around 300 Hz.

There is also a Bluetooth interface which is terrible.

If the HU is disconnected and the amp is disconnected, and then the HU is re-connected 10 minutes later, now the output does change with volume - but the Bluetooth audio seems to go away. I tried a number of fixes and could not restore the Bluetooth audio without restoring the amp.

This system is really similar architecturally to a BMW DSP system in an E39 5-series or an E53 X5 - right down to the stinkin' Bluetooth not working.

How to interface? You have two choices:

#1: Speaker-level, equalized, partial-range without usable crossover points. You need to knit the high-pass and low-pass points back together and you need to de-equalize them. A CleanSweep+summing module/360.2/H650/660/bitOne/MS-8 works here. We used an Audio Control LC6 and a Phoenix Gold Tantrum 4-band parametric EQ in this instance.

Front mid/high output

Front door woofer output

#2: Speaker-level, flat, full-range, no fader, no Bluetooth (install a Parrot!) In this case you need a balanced input and the ability to take pretty high voltage in. The HU output voltage was kinda high. That said, I wouldn't hasitate to run this into a Zapco Symbi input, a JL RCA input, or a RF BLD or Arc Audio line driver input.

Output after amp bypass

Is this the Boston setup with a center channel? I just worked on an '07 and it had three speakers across the top of the dash. Any idea what kind of processing is used for it?
    If you're not the signal, you're the noise.

Yes, it had a center channel IIRC. I don't think any tweaky processing was used. Seemed like a mixed-mono center.
    "Of course, the laws of science contain no matter and have no energy either and therefore do not exist except in people's minds. It's best to be completely scientific about the whole thing and refuse to believe in either ghosts or the laws of science. That way you're safe. That doesn't leave you very much to believe in, but that's scientific too."

Cool, thanks. One of the cars I'm looking at is a 300C SRT-8, and I think I'm going to try to keep something very simple my next go-around. Maybe even keeping a factory head unit.

Quote Originally Posted by TREETOP View Post
    and I think I'm going to try to keep something very simple my next go-around.
    That's almost sig material out of irony alone.

Quote Originally Posted by TREETOP View Post
    Cool, thanks. One of the cars I'm looking at is a 300C SRT-8, and I think I'm going to try to keep something very simple my next go-around. Maybe even keeping a factory head unit.
    Starts simple, then turns into an overhaul fast.

This was my reasoning in buying the "Premium Sony" stereo option. What a joke that was.
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Nexus 7 | DAC | miniDSP | Aura MR2150 x 3 | NRT18-8 | RS180-4 | neo8-s

I know, I know. My Tahoe started out with the same goal in mind, "...just a line converter and a sub amp..."