Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: peerless 830845 build (shop sub)

peerless 830845 build (shop sub)

I scored a pair of Peerless XXLS12's off of ebay for an insane price.

Peerless 830845

For a while I had tapped horn on the mind, but it would require serious re-arrangement and the build of some insanely huge enclosures.

So I almost thought about sealed, against my better... well.. Chad thinking.

So this is what I have thus far.

Yellow:
    Sealed box, 7.4 CuFt.. big and sucks to my eyes. -3 of 42Hz and a -10 of 24Hz. Phenomenal group delay (as expected)

Green:
    Vented enclosure, 15.3 CuFt, tuned to 23 cycles. absolutely HUGE and has a horrible group delay but it's so low it really makes no difference in this small ass room. -3 of 22 Hz and a -10 of 18Hz. Damn!

Then out of the blue I did a bandpass (always wanted to try a larger one)... well hell!

Blue:
    11 Cu Ft internal total, tuned at 42.4Hz, -3 of 26 and a -10 of 19Hz. Group delay is not pretty but MUCH MUCH better than vented.

Looks like I may be building one BIG ASS Bose acoustimass module!

FWIW the sub will compliment a set of JBL 4412's being powered with a Carver PM175 and each driver in the sub will be powered with a channel of a Carver PM350 (would like to find a cheap PM1.5)

Thinking a used BSS omnidrive or a behringer for processing. Only need 2 in and 4 out.

I screwed up and used dark blue. May have to replace the pics.

Founding Member
    I think the BP would be fun, because you get some of the efficiency boost of porting and a second order rolloff. As long as you can live with the limited top end (if I'm reading the dark blue right, ~70Hz F3).

With boxes that big, your current amp should be more than enough.

I would call the JBL's DAMN solid to 50 but likely 40 so the HF is fine for this application.

the PM1.5 has prettier dancing lights. Like the PM175.

Should be a cool project, to the point I almost thought of having fun with it and using an external vent and making it look like an elephant. if I do internal I may paint it like a cow. I'm working on driver access now so a removable side is in the works., likely the front or back as I do literally plan to make it sort of bose-like in profile. So it's not going to be much deeper than that of the diameter of the drivers.

I need to find a local place that sells MDF, the local lumber yard I used to ORDER it through closed up... Big bad bummer for me as it was only 6 miles away down a country road.

Could always pick up some birch ply.. your back will thank you. Will also make for a better screw connection for your removable side.
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Nexus 7 | DAC | miniDSP | Aura MR2150 x 3 | NRT18-8 | RS180-4 | neo8-s

birch ply is gong to be hard to source locally and uber expensive.... I don't plan to move it much, if at all.

Founding Member
    Could you use a concrete form tube to do the bandpass? I don't immediately know how you would design the driver access, but that cardboard tube might be easier to source locally.

makes me think........

But round is so wasteful when it comes to space.

Just LOOKING at that melted my brain......

I'll do it when I get home.