Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: New Apple TV

I can't believe nobody caught this.

"If it’s on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, it’s on Apple TV.
    You can already stream music, photos, and video from your computer to Apple TV. With AirPlay, you can stream it all from your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, too. So if you feel like watching a movie you have on one of your devices, you don’t need to rent or buy it again. Just tap to start playing content on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, then tap again to instantly stream whatever you’re watching — or listening to — directly to Apple TV. AirPlay is coming soon to an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch near you."

This sounds to me like a Wadia 171i Transport that gives you an optical output for your car processor or head unit of choice. Only it's $99 and it's wireless!

(Crossing fingers for it to be a lossless wireless transmission though)

I was thinking it would be cool to mod this for in car use, but I don't think I see the use here.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
    I was thinking it would be cool to mod this for in car use, but I don't think I see the use here.
    How come?

For me, I just don't see what it would give me.
    I keep my ipod plugged into my headunit, so that's a bust.
    Maybe I could run the appletv right into the bitone but thing is, I can only do that with a touch or phone due to the wireless. Not a regular ipod.
    Plus, I don't know if I have volume control on the tv itself.... I don't see anything in the specs about direct volume control. That would be another irritant (never going back to dual volume/source control).

Founding Member
    The appletv won't do Jack in a car. Streaming only.

Real Name
    Adam
    I think the idea involved having the streaming source (ipad, iphone, etc.) in the car. Basically an in-car wireless network allowing you to stream digitally from compatible devices.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I think the idea involved having the streaming source (ipad, iphone, etc.) in the car. Basically an in-car wireless network allowing you to stream digitally from compatible devices.
    Yup. Before, the only way to get an digital output from a pod that wasn't a USB connection to a compatible head unit was to either spend $2000 on a MSBTech iLink, spend several hundred on a Wadia 170i docking station, or find an Onkyo NS-D1 for a little less. All of which are wired except for the iLink.

With this, all you need is your DAC of choice, or a fiber optic cable if the next device in line has a digital input, and you're set.

I realize that, but in my case it doesn't do me a lick of good.

Plus, the downside to that method is the lack of HDD space on the items that are capable of streaming. I've only got 4k songs and I'm already over 60gb. And I wouldn't say any more than 3/4 of my library is lossless. Point being, for this to really be worth my while, I'd need a device capable of more than 64gb storage.

but, yea, I see the draw. It's just not useful to me.

H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
    I would have actually considered this as my first Apple product but this limitation kills it for me. Needs MOAR horsepower.

Founding Member
    It's limited to 720p because iTunes is limited. Something to do with studio deals etc. That's the only limitation I have with it myself...well that and I can't play ripped DVDs through it