Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Apple TV

anyone know the release date for this?
    I've got the funds waiting.... this will be the answer to my needs.

Founding Member
    Roughly three weeks. First week in Oct I believe.

shit.

I think apple.com says 'sept', but I wasn't so certain of that. I don't wanna wait.

Founding Member
    I would highly recommend you pre order. There is a lot of buzz about it and I would be shocked if it doesn't sell out pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Daishi View Post
    It's limited to 720p because iTunes is limited. Something to do with studio deals etc. That's the only limitation I have with it myself...well that and I can't play ripped DVDs through it
    There's no way to convert them to be Apple-friendly? I thought that was one of the draws to Apple, that the software is built-in for archiving your DVD's? If I can't archive DVD's and play them through the Apple TV or on an iPad/iPhone them I'm out.
    STI<>GTO

Real Name
    Adam
    I convert all of mine to h.264 as soon as I rip them to the hard drive. Works like a charm and you can set up long queues in handbrake and just let it work on them overnight.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickVS View Post
    There's no way to convert them to be Apple-friendly? I thought that was one of the draws to Apple, that the software is built-in for archiving your DVD's? If I can't archive DVD's and play them through the Apple TV or on an iPad/iPhone them I'm out.
    Sure you can. I just have zero wish to convert to H2.64. It takes way to long and I am not going to run my MBP for days on end doing the conversions. Besides, HDD space is cheap and leaving it as a DVD file allows me to burn a copy of it if needed and I can play it via the DVD Player in OS X without issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I convert all of mine to h.264 as soon as I rip them to the hard drive. Works like a charm and you can set up long queues in handbrake and just let it work on them overnight.
    Yeah, if I had a MP like you I would consider doing that. Converting to high quality with handbrake takes HOURS on my laptop. I can rip 3-4 dual density DVDs in the time it takes handrake to convert one to Apple TV quality. My MBP would be converting nonstop for almost two months if I were to do that (I did the math...that freaking long)

Okay, phew. My dreams of Hipsterdom acceptance were almost shattered!
    STI<>GTO

Founding Member
    Adams idea is the best way to go to make everything digital no question about it.

not sure if anyone has seen this:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1011422