0.6 pounds1

In the box

Apple TV
    Aluminum Apple Remote
    Power cord
    Documentation
    Environmental Status Report
    BFR-free
    PVC-free (internal cables and components)
    Meets ENERGY STAR Version 2.0 requirements for set-top boxes
    Processor

Apple A4 chip
    System requirements
    AirPort Extreme, Wi-Fi 802.11b, g, or n wireless network (wireless video streaming requires 802.11g or 802.11n) or 10/100BASE-T Ethernet network
    iTunes Store account for renting movies and TV shows
    Netflix account for streaming Netflix content
    For streaming media from a Mac or PC:
    iTunes 10 or later; iTunes Store account for Home Sharing
    Ports and interfaces
    HDMI2
    Optical audio
    10/100BASE-T Ethernet
    Built-in IR receiver
    Micro-USB (for service and support)
    Environmental requirements
    Operating temperature: 32 to 95 F (0 to 35 C)
    Storage temperature: -4 to 113 F (-20 to 45 C)
    Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
    Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)
    Power
    Built-in 6-watt universal power supply
    Wireless
    802.11n Wi-Fi (a/b/g compatible)
    2.4GHz and 5GHz
    Video formats
    H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
    MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
    Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
    Audio formats supported
    HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through
    Photo formats
    JPEG, GIF, TIFF
    TV compatibility
    Compatible with high-definition TVs with HDMI and capable of 720p 60/50Hz,2 including popular models from these manufacturers: Hitachi, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, NEC, Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Toshiba, Vizio, Westinghouse

Accessories
    HDMI to HDMI Cable
    Digital Optical Audio Cable
    AppleCare Protection Plan
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

looks like they're getting the stage set for streaming. just like with their media event (streamed over mac devices).
    I don't really care for the appletv, though. Maybe I just need to see it in use. Kind of like Tivo. I didn't think anything of it, but after we bought it I had seen the light!

no news on a new ipad, though. *waits*

Real Name
    Adam
    $99 for a box that allows me to stream content from the internet (netflix, itunes, etc.) or from my media collection (movies, music, etc. in iTunes) seems like a pretty decent deal.

I'll still wait to see what the boxee box looks like in November as it has several advantages (1080p and the qwerty remote among them). http://newteevee.com/2010/09/01/comp...-vs-boxee-box/
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Yea, I was thinking about that earlier... I had forgotten the core ability to stream music as I was thinking only movie content when I replied. That's actually a pretty dang good deal. Especially considering I paid $130 for my airport express a few years back and there wasn't even a GUI with it.

Hell, the $99 would almost be worth it just to be able to stream my music and the radio stations I enjoy via iTunes... actually, does it allow you to stream radio?
    Which brings up my next question - and I'm sure if I looked at the product page I would find the answer - does the GUI mimic iTunes?
    I wonder if you would be able to stream media off an external HDD. Seems I saw someone on the mac forum speculating you couldn't.

Honestly I would rather get WD's TV HD media player, they typically have the recertified ones on sale for $59.99 when they are in stock

http://store.westerndigital.com/stor...catid.13096400

$0.99 for a TV show rental? you must be joking right? I mean its free to watch on the broadcast stations website just with commercials. Come on apple, for that price it should be to own the tv show episode, not rent.

Real Name
    Adam
    Content providers are dictating the rental pricing, not Apple. http://mobile.pcmag.com/device2/arti...2368631,00.asp

I'd be unlikely to use the rental thing anyway. Just as I am unlikely to buy songs from iTunes.

The integration with iTunes is appealing given that my music collection already resides in iTunes and I control all of it via the iPhone. Showing iTunes where my video files are wouldn't be a big deal, though a few might require format conversion.

D-link needs to hurry up and get the boxee box out so I can make a decision.

yeah, I mean if you use iTunes for everything then this is probably the best thing to get, but I cant stand iTunes, never had any luck with importing video of different formats, resolutions, audio, etc...

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
    Yea, I was thinking about that earlier... I had forgotten the core ability to stream music as I was thinking only movie content when I replied. That's actually a pretty dang good deal. Especially considering I paid $130 for my airport express a few years back and there wasn't even a GUI with it.
    Ditto. Actually, I've bought two APE's because the first one died on me. I think one of these is in my immediate future.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
    Which brings up my next question - and I'm sure if I looked at the product page I would find the answer - does the GUI mimic iTunes?
    It looks more like Front Row, I'd assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I'd be unlikely to use the rental thing anyway. Just as I am unlikely to buy songs from iTunes.
    Ditto. Streaming Netflix rentals in HD through an Apple-designed interface sounds pretty compelling, though. Boxee is less interesting to me because the Apple TV will let me stream off my main computer's iTunes library and Boxee presumably will not.

Founding Member
    I made a couple of big posts on the other forum Adam, but you have been away from there for a bit so I will recap.

Although it's a huge improvement over the older model I am still annoyed at the obvious limitations it has. Capped at 720p, only can grab iTunes media such as mpeg-4 and H2.64 etc. The netflix streaming is nice but I currently have 4 devices connected to my tv INCLUDONG my tv that can stream the same Internet content.

I know you have converted a lot of material to H2.64, but someone like me who has a ton of my DVDs ripped to .dvdmedia files and will work perfectly with os x DVD player I am a little saddened at the appletv. I still think the Mac mini is the better htpc device in that regards.

With that said I will be picking one up once I get my old tv mounted upstairs. It will be worth hooking the appletv up to that at $100 as I would probably only do a bit of netflix and iTunes tv shows I have on that tv anyways.

From my understanding the GUI appears to be a skinned iOS. it has the original appletv interface, but with it running the A4 chip is is most certainly running some iOS base at the very least.

For $99, this is going on my birthday present list.

Whenever we clean house (every weekend), I bring my ipod into the living room and hook it up to the receiver. No more. I'm getting one of these for sure. Just waiting on the release now.