Thread: Resistively Damped Operation Testing

Real Name
    Adam

Resistively Damped Operation Testing

I used a Goldwood GW-406D 6.5" dual voice coil woofer to test the impacts of resistively damped operation. Measurements were taken on one voice coil with varying resistance on the second coil. For each condition 5 measurements were taken with a WT3 and averaged to provide the result seen in the chart below. The full data set can be viewed at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ozbHc&hl=en_US

Last edited by Adam_MSS; 09-24-2011 at 01:39 PM.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

MSS Supporting Vendor
    Real Name
    Aaron Hammett
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_MSS View Post
    I used a Goldwood GW-406D 6.5" dual voice coil woofer to test the impacts of resistively damped operation. Measurements were taken on one voice coil with varying resistance on the second coil. For each condition 5 measurements were taken with a WT3 and averaged to provide the result seen in the chart below. The full data set can be viewed at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ozbHc&hl=en_US
    So what happens when you drive the second V.C. with the same signal, but reverse-wired and attenuated (adjustable, say via an L-Pad)? My theory is that you would be applying active damping and thus get the Qts even lower.

Always wanted to test the theory, but I lack a good reason to make the effort. ;)
    I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.

Real Name
    Adam
    Good question. I'll see if I can cobble a quick test together this evening and see what happens.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Very cool Adam.

So it can work as advertised.

gonna start losing output quickly, gonna have to watch yourself as to not toss to much heat in the VC.

Real Name
    Adam
    It was an interesting test. Qts held steady. Once I dropped the resistance to 10ohm on the inverted line to the second coil the WT3 freaked out and wouldn't gather data so 20 is as low as I got.

Last edited by Adam_MSS; 09-25-2011 at 09:36 PM.