Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Increasing wifi range with external antenna and amplifier

we use the UBNT bullet 2HP and the bullet M2 for our long range stuff.(mostly because they have 29Db of signal output) so far the best we have done if 5 miles with a 15Dbi ant at 11 meters up.. bandwidth was about 11Mps.

we did one test that couldnt be repeated for legal reasons, lol. but we had the same 15Dbi any pushing 4watts of power and 20Db gain on the receiver. (with ant, ampifier and radios, we had about 75Dbi gain) mast was only 15 feet off the ground and we went 8 miles! only about 1.5 Mbps, but it was stable, lol.

you are going to have naked babies.....

Were you using omni antennas or directional?

I went omni because of the area I wanted to cover, I probably could have gone with 2 directional but I would have really had hunt for the coverage pattern I wanted.

Not only that but this was an EXTREMELY low budget project... As you can see.

these were omnis. 15Dbi omnis, lol. about 5 ft tall, with 4degree vertical beam.

we have some 24Dbi panels as well, they have about 13 degree beam width. at 5 miles, aiming them is a bitch, but they pull in about 36 Mps on those 11 meter masts we have. that is with the M2 or the M5 radios. the high speed "N" with ubnt's propriatary "turbo" speed works really well. if you are in more reasonable distances, you can get a connection of about 150Mbps and through put just over 100Mbps.
    Last edited by minbari; 11-03-2011 at 05:20 PM.

That's what I have up high a long 15.

One must also understand that there is a legal ERP limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    One must also understand that there is a legal ERP limit.
    ya we get around those mostly because it is for testing and because it is for government projects. nothing we do goes into any permanent install.

but you are right. For 802.11 in the 2.4ghz band and for 5.8ghz band it is virtually unlimited for PTP. (53dBm) but only 36dBm PTmP

I was shocked at how tight the linksys is... I was almost certain that the ham rig would just wipe it out, but it works flawlessly. Even when running larger amounts of power.

Founding Member
    Can I asked a simple question that I didn't see answered previously? Why not pick up one or two airport expresses and bridge them with the extreme?

I did this back with my g network and it worked like a champ.

because a Lynksys is cheaper

Bridge or repeater? that's the terminology issue. For example, i use a bridge in my shop, comes in wireless to 4 wired out... I do it for lightning protection as the computers it's attached to are also attached to the tower via the radios. And mother nature hates my shenanigans. This separates the home network and telephony from the shop stuff.

Founding Member
    Don't listen to Chad... He couldn't even help me get my lappy to connect via wifi to my router from 5ft away ;)