Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Increasing wifi range with external antenna and amplifier

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    I was shocked at how tight the linksys is... I was almost certain that the ham rig would just wipe it out, but it works flawlessly. Even when running larger amounts of power.
    not sure what band that ham is on, but as long as it is far enough away, the internal filters in the radio and the tuning the ant keep interfereance out for the most part. I accidentally put a 5.3Ghz any on a 5.8Ghz radio once and couldnt figure out why performance was soo bad and that is only 500mhz apart. we even have some radios next to an airport radar. think that is in the kW area and it still works.

Quote Originally Posted by 2chGUY View Post
    Don't listen to Chad... He couldn't even help me get my lappy to connect via wifi to my router from 5ft away ;)
    lol. 5ft can be a long way!

Quote Originally Posted by minbari View Post
    not sure what band that ham is on, but as long as it is far enough away, the internal filters in the radio and the tuning the ant keep interfereance out for the most part. I accidentally put a 5.3Ghz any on a 5.8Ghz radio once and couldnt figure out why performance was soo bad and that is only 500mhz apart. we even have some radios next to an airport radar. think that is in the kW area and it still works.

I'm well over a kilowatt in ERP.... a few feet away ;) So yeah, I know the filtering is supposed to do it's job but I was flooding it pretty hard.

I'm well over a kilowatt in ERP.... a few feet away ;) So yeah, I know the filtering is supposed to do it's job but I was flooding it pretty hard.
    depending on the pattern of your ham ant, if you place it just below or just above, it wont 'see" it at all. especially with those 15dBi you have. The vertical beam on those is like 4.

Approx same height, both omnis.

Project Bigass wifi runs as a wireless access point, FLAWLESS! I even modded it for power over ethernet so it's one wire. And yeah, hopping networks can be goofy. My phone is allowed to hop and it's OK except for when the outdoor one gets fringe in the house and it's doing it's best to hang on but there's a monster right next to it... Apple could have done better with that.

Hello

I am installing a similar setup. However, I'll be running a 2w booster as well as the above router. I was going to have the router inside a building with the booster outside on a mast in a similar box as above up close to the omni antenna.

Would I be better off having the booster and the router in the same box? To save on cable length? Then I'd just have 10mtrs of ethernet cable running inside the building instead of 10mtrs of RU400 cable running inside the building.

Put the router as close as you can to the feedpoint of the antenna, forget the booster. I'm VERY "height sensitive" so I'm ladder reachable and as you saw the tower folds.

That box has been in ignorant heat and now enduring cold, no glitches. Not really that sealed either, water resistant but breathable. I'm still pondering a heater for winter to keep condensation out. but since it's 26 outside now... It's winter. POE is stupid easy on these and PE has 2A 12V switcher supplys on sale cheap.

I'm not using an amp and getting great coverage. LMR400 minimum and build it damn right or have it built. I have a place that I had it (cable) built because I had something else going on at the time and they did well, and in reality, it was cheaper than I could order the cable and parts because they order bulk.
    Last edited by Chad; 11-17-2011 at 12:59 AM.

Put the router as close as you can to the feedpoint of the antenna, forget the booster. I'm VERY "height sensitive" so I'm ladder reachable and as you saw the tower folds.

That box has been in ignorant heat and now enduring cold, no glitches. Not really that sealed either, water resistant but breathable. I'm still pondering a heater for winter to keep condensation out. but since it's 26 outside now... It's winter. POE is stupid easy on these and PE has 2A 12V switcher supplys on sale cheap.

I'm not using an amp and getting great coverage. LMR400 minimum and build it damn right or have it built. I have a place that I had it (cable) built because I had something else going on at the time and they did well, and in reality, it was cheaper than I could order the cable and parts because they order bulk.
    Ok. Was going to use RG58 as its very short leads and I thought the loss would be minimal but I'll go for the RU400 instead.

a little worried about heat. we're down in australia and the box will get outside temps of 114.8 degrees f.

So inside the box it'll be even more. Would it be best putting it in the buildings roof where it at least has insulation?
    Last edited by Dan; 11-17-2011 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Hello

I am installing a similar setup. However, I'll be running a 2w booster as well as the above router. I was going to have the router inside a building with the booster outside on a mast in a similar box as above up close to the omni antenna.

Would I be better off having the booster and the router in the same box? To save on cable length? Then I'd just have 10mtrs of ethernet cable running inside the building instead of 10mtrs of RU400 cable running inside the building.
    put the booster as close to the antenna as posible. most of those boosters (amplifiers) are auto-gain on the input and only need 50-400mW to work. the closer it is to the ant the more power will be given directly to the ant. to make your install easier, make sure you get one that will use a power over cable injector. then you dont need extra power wires.