Thread: Pre Amps

Founding Member

Pre Amps

I decided it was time to start focusing my efforts on building a stereo/HT rig. Thus far I have a pair of those Credence clearance 10s (Bostwick HD Pros), and a pair of Fountek FR88Ex's that i want to try. I'm considering going with a Behringer DCX2496 and a couple of their Studio reference A500 amplifiers for power BUT I am at a loss for what to do about a pre-amp. From my former life as a DJ, I was thinking about using a Rane 1U rack mount MP2s but was wondering if there is anything else that I should be looking at?

My digital cable box has RCA outs and I could put a better sound card in my HTPC to also include RCA outs. In other words, HDMI audio is not a must in this application.

Founding Member
    Oh snap, a buddy of mine who closed his record/dj store earlier this year said he has a Cortex MIX-R1U that he will sell me for cheap. I may have already found my pre-amp!:gr_grin:

He also told me to look into the Alesis Reference line if I wanted staggered power. Damn him!

Real Name
    Adam
    Is this just a 2 channel setup? Need subwoofer management?

I use a denon receiver in front of my pro audio gear and I'm pretty happy with the setup.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_MSS View Post
    Is this just a 2 channel setup? Need subwoofer management?

I use a denon receiver in front of my pro audio gear and I'm pretty happy with the setup.
    I'm just doing 2 channel for now and need something to get me by for at least 2 years until the wife and I have enough saved for a down payment on a new house. At first, I was going to cheap out and build some passives, but, knowing me, I will probably swap stuff in and out if I don't like how my current stuff sounds after finishing the build. In other words, the DCX2496 would be a better choice in the long run than messing around with LSPCad to build passives for what I have on hand now. Of course, with that said, watch me actually like what I currently have on hand because no matter what I plan for, the opposite always comes true.

Real Name
    Adam
    I've got my receiver running to a DEQ/DCX combo for managing my various subs. Something similar would work for mains if the receiver has pre-outs (my 2809ci does). That would give you features like Audyssey and also future multichannel expandability. If you shop models that are a year or so old you can find some steals as the HT crowd heads for the latest and greatest.

I should note that there is obviously a gain structure issue that has to be overcome when mating consumer audio gear to pro audio gear. In my case incremental steps in the DEQ and then DCX handle it pretty well.
    Last edited by Adam_MSS; 10-26-2011 at 09:27 PM.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

used onkyo integra P304... shitloads of inputs, insanely quiet... mad preamp outputs. great phono section.

and above all inexpensive.

Oh, and it has a baller headphone output.
    Last edited by Chad; 10-26-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Founding Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. Now I know what else to keep an eye out for!