Thread: Credence Clearence BN10-8 Subwoofers

Founding Member

Credence Clearence BN10-8 Subwoofers

I picked up a pair of **these** because I couldn't pass up the price of $104 shipped for the pair.

They look exactly as described:

and measure real close to the published specs (bottom of page)
    Clearance Corner

with my Woofer Tester 3:

Unfortunately, I screwed up the pre break-in measurement on the first woofer, but I managed to get a good one on the second sub. After 6 hours at 25 Hz, I'll let the sub rest for an hour and take post break-in measurements to see what, if anything, has changed.

Real Name
    Adam
    That looks like a hell of a deal. How are you planning to use them?
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Founding Member
    I'm hoping I can run them to 150 Hz and either mate them with the Fountek FR88EX full range drivers that I have on hand or a midrange and tweeter if the full range thing doesn't work out. I'm planning on building a modular, stackable enclosure similar to the old Technics SB-6000 as a modern rendition on a set of speakers that I used to own. Only difference, I'm all about experimenting now!
    Last edited by ChrisB; 10-28-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: My bad, it was the 3 ways that I had in the past

Founding Member
    And here is the second driver after breaking it in with a 25 Hz test tone for 8 hours at 10 volts of output to get that cone moving.

Real Name
    Adam
    Looks like the suspension softened just a bit during the break-in. Data lines up with theory. That's always a good thing.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Founding Member
    I like being able to experiment and learn the science behind the sound! Man, have I ever come a long way.

Real Name
    Greg
    Hi Chris, a little OT but do you use the added mass method? How relieable do you find it? I use it too and seems a little hit/miss, have been told the known box volume method works better-have you tried that?

I use added mass and find it predictable.... BUT I have found ALL the tests need to be done, especially with the newer software and larger woofers, with NO air movement. Shut the ceiling fan off!

Founding Member
    Following Chad's advice, I wait until my AC isn't running, and turn the ceiling fan off.

I have yet to try the known box volume method, but the added mass seems to be consistent thus far. Ironically, I found that quality woofers from major manufacturers tend to measure very close to the manufacturer's published specs. As for not so major manufacturers, results may vary GREATLY.

For mass I use sitty putty stuck on a flat chunk of polished rock, LONG STORY, It's thin, smooth and flat... Then I add larger nuts to it to gain the weight I need.

One weight does not fit all.

Hell, on a JBL I used the bolt off my Mosin Nagant!