Thread: Crown XLS 402 vs XTI 1000, QSC RMX 850, Behringer A500, Etc.

Real Name
    Adam

Crown XLS 402 vs XTI 1000, QSC RMX 850, Behringer A500, Etc.

I need another amp or two to dedicate to my driver testing setup. I'm thinking I'll want something with 150 wpc @ 8 ohms, and the ability to drive into lower impedances. Minimizing distortion is a goal, as is flat frequency response.

I started out looking at the Behringer A500, but the XLS 402 and 802 pretty quickly came into view as an alternative now that it's been discontinued for a while. The XTI 1000/2000 look nice as well, but there is something about those beefy older XLS models that appeals to me. A QSC RMX 850 or 1450 could also get into this ballpark.

In general I'd like to keep cost down, but I am willing to pay a modest premium for measurable improvements and reliability.

Spec screenshots:

You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Real Name
    Adam
    I apparently missed a decimal place when looking at the distortion figures earlier. Seems like the QSC RMX would be the frontrunner. A PLX 1202 would have a better SNR if i could find a good deal on one.

Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Adam_MSS; 10-28-2011 at 02:11 PM.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Administrator
    Have you picked a car yet. I'm not helping you pick an amp until you decide on a car. Too many unmade decisions out there will lead to eventual bikinitis, or also known as ErinH Syndrome.
    Just because you don't understand the data doesn't mean it's not relevant.

Real Name
    Adam
    Well there's a PLX 1202 out on eBay for $215 so I'll probably want to make this decision first. Then I can go back to worrying about cars.

(Trying to convince my wife a 328i coupe is the right choice, she wants the sedan)

Founding Member
    Not sure if XTI1000 is that way to go, but something to think about.

Measuring Amplifiers - Page 24 - AVS Forum

Real Name
    Adam
    Got the PLX 1202. Arrived today:

oh snap.... I like those.