Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Precision Power PPI Phantom P900.4 fullrange class D

Darin, any update on the heat and in general your feelings on the amp?

As you know the EXL's worked well in your last application, but after buying them I managed to get them into thermal F U mode regularly. Marine application in a small "closet" wasn't as nice on them. Obviously being class D I'd like to run one these potentially but would like to know if I am either going to have to add ventilation, different heatsinks or both.

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deephaven View Post
    Darin, any update on the heat and in general your feelings on the amp?

As you know the EXL's worked well in your last application, but after buying them I managed to get them into thermal F U mode regularly. Marine application in a small "closet" wasn't as nice on them. Obviously being class D I'd like to run one these potentially but would like to know if I am either going to have to add ventilation, different heatsinks or both.
    Sorry for the late reply Sean but figured I would update. Running 2 of the 4 channels now and 1 mono, sandwiched between the subbx and rear seat. They barely get above ambient (ok maybe 10 to 20deg F). They actually get warmer when idling or barely running which is somewhat normal for class D. The EXL's would get pretty damn hot but never went thermal prot, these I don't even worry.

Real Name
    George
    I ended up going with the Arc KS over these guys. I needed something more bulletproof because I abuse my gear sometimes. These still offer an improvement in efficiency and will be looking forward to how they fare in many hands from now on. Once they get a good track record I may reconsider.
    2001 Honda S2000
    Head: Pioneer P99 + Samsung Galaxy S3
    Amplifiers: 3,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
    4 way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, BG Neo8-s Planar transducers, Peerless XLS 10" MAC midbass woofers, Tympany LAT700 x2

MSS Supporting Vendor SyracuseCustoms's Avatar
    I've installed a few P900.4 and a ton of KS300.4 .... No comparison the ARC KS is a far superior amp sound wise. I'm sure the PPI is a little more efficient but I'd prefer KS all day.
    ***** AUTHORIZED DEALER FOR *****
    ARC AUDIO - ADDICTIVE AUDIO - TRU TECHNOLOGY - BRAX - HELIX - DYNAUDIO - GERMAN MAESTRO - PHOENIX GOLD - JVC - STINGER
    ** TERRITORY RESTRICTIONS APPLY **
    :Jackhammer:CUSTOM FABRICATION: WOOD, STEEL, ALUMINUM,FIBERGLASS & PLEXI :Jackhammer:

Founding Member
    Eh superior is purely subjective, unless you can quantify superiority, but if you LIKE them better, then they will be better. Zeff amps are proven designs and I own a few. I'd rather choose the small size and more power, less likely to clip the voltage rails and leaves me plenty of install space. I think some people prefer extra harmonics that can come from clipping vs a more neutral sound if not clipping, but this is just a theory.

I know you had 1 bad one George and its hard to shake that feeling with so many options in the market, but I think the design is proven to be successful. Where are all the bad cases if they aren't?
    Last edited by durwood; 08-07-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Real Name
    George
    Yeah, I most definitely am not claiming that it's an unreliable lineup, but I'm hesitant, that's all. I'm also hesitant on quantifying amplifier quality.

I think there is a lot more to sound reproduction than we can usually get fair testing on. In the case of speakers there are countless "objectionists" which classify speakers by 1w1m testing of 2nd and 3rd order harmonics. Imo they are just as much in the wrong as the "by ear" guys. Both are cocky on very little information, in the first case the reliability of the data is questionable, whereas in the second the sheer contribution of the testing is questionable. By no means is this a speaker only realization. Take for example Alpine's PDX series 2 magazine review. There is a plot of impedance by frequency for various Class D amplifiers and some behave rather badly at the top. Would we even know this behaviour is present in amplifiers if there wasn't a class D that rectifies this issue? I think not, and that's the crux of the problem, when do we have enough data?
    2001 Honda S2000
    Head: Pioneer P99 + Samsung Galaxy S3
    Amplifiers: 3,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
    4 way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, BG Neo8-s Planar transducers, Peerless XLS 10" MAC midbass woofers, Tympany LAT700 x2