Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite photography gear? Not camera brand specific!

Real Name
    Adam
    My wife used an older 105mm IIRC.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Quote Originally Posted by Daishi View Post
    Ha nice! I really like the sigma 180mm, but damn is it expensive.
    the last place you want to skimp is on lenses. you can get a ho hum camera and put excellent lenses on it and get better results than a great camera body with shit lenses. the "F" rating is what you want to look at. cheap lenses will have a high "F" rating and it makes macro stuff impossible. you cant get enough light even with a ring flash and since the "F" rating is so high it forces you to have a deeper depth of field. if you are trying to focus on one little thing a fast lens in the way to go.

You will kick yourself for going cheap and end up buying the good one later anyway, lol. sigma make nice lenses too ;) I had a nice 28-70 F3.5 from them that I liked pretty well.

Founding Member
    Oh, I know all that, but the Sigma is around $2k over an L canon. That's insane, but seeing some of the pricing for sigma gear lately I am not shocked.

ya, they do make some REALLY pricey stuff. I am certainly not suggesting that you spend $2k on a lens. just dont cheap out and go for the $100 one. ;) I think my 28-70mm was about $350

Founding Member
    100000% agreed. Only lens in the $100 range is the nifty fifty. Past that at least $300+

lo, ya. good 50mm is handy to have too. think I had a f1.8. could almost take pics in the dark

Founding Member
    Anybody try the gorillapod? It looks like a really cool tiny item that could me for some interesting shots when you need a stable camera

we have a couple here at work. we use em for mounting antennas on, lol. they are very handle and pretty much indestructible.

Quote Originally Posted by minbari View Post
    and pretty much indestructible.
    sounds right up my alley.

get the ones with the magnets in the feet. its worth the extra money. stick to nearly anything (well anything of the ferrous metal variety)