Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite photography gear? Not camera brand specific!

Founding Member

What's your favorite photography gear? Not camera brand specific!

Thought it would be cool to put a thread together with some of the equipment we all like that's universal between brands. Bags, filters, backup, memory cards, tripods/monopods etc...

Bags

Anything from Think Tank Photo. Currently I have Streetwalker Pro Harddrive. It looks like a backpack, will fit a ton of gear and most importantly will fit on even a puddle jumper's overhead bin. Will be picking up a Retrospective 30 as well in the near future. Looks like a messenger bag, yet can hold almost as much as the Streetwalker AND even looks less like a camera bag. Pricing is very cheap by camera bag pricing as well and higher quality over anything else I have seen.

Memory cards

personally I shoot with CF only right now. SD is just too slow for a lot of what I do and want to shoot in the future.
    Brands I trust are Sandisk and Transcend. Tanscend used to be the go to card for cheap super fast speeds, but with Sandisk recently dropping their prices significantly it's hard to pass up buying the 'champ' now. I have a couple of 32 GB cards with 600x read/write and they are damn close to that speed. Can hit about 28 shots before overrunning the buffer at full clip on the 7D, so about 2.3 seconds of shooting. That's full sized RAW as well.

Backup

Was going to build a giant RAID setup for all my backup needs, but that just got dashed due to the flooding in Thailand
    (hard drive manufacturing is the least of their problems right now!). Just backing up to a cheapo external drive currently. Eventually I planning on having a 9 TB RAID 5 setup done. Any good online backups you guys trust? Looking at Crashplan myself.

Tripods/monopods

Monfrotto is what I have currently. The 190XB and the 492RC2 ballhead is a great combo. Not that expensive and good weight handling. I would love to pick up a CF tripod but they are so expensive. Also, I would like a smoother ballhead (insert joke here). Some of the middle run Arca-Swiss and any of the arcatech ballheads are on my wish list. I also have a 681B monopod that's pret nice for the money. Wish it was a tad smaller though.

Staps

Sounds like such a stupid section, but it makes such a difference. Currently running some cheapo one I picked up at Best Buy in an emergency. Have the sling strap from Custom SLR on order and should get it next month. Really could use some suggestions here. I will be grabbing a TTP one so I can attach it to by backpack straps for when I am at races and such.

Filters

b&W or Hoya all the way.

Any other sections we should hit? Did this post kind of quick so I know I missed a bunch of ideas!
    Last edited by Daishi; 11-20-2011 at 07:35 AM.

Real Name
    Adam
    Bags:

I've got a lowepro pack and a smaller lowepro pouch, but I never carry either when I'm actually shooting. They basically exist for storing the camera when I travel.

Memory Cards:

Sandisk SDHC cards. 8gb is a good size for me at present. I rarely shoot RAW anymore. Once I got all my presets programmed for the D90, the extra post processing flexibility afforded by RAW became unnecessary.

Backup:

I first move photos to a 2gb drive in my Mac Pro in a directory that is backed up by time machine. At the same time I do an export of the most recent upload to an external bare drive via a drive dock. Once a month or so I rotate 2 other bare drives into the house for backup then take one back to a safety deposit box and the other goes in our little firebox (which itself will soon have a home in a gun safe). Finally I use smugmug as my online backup. I upload the good stuff to my viewable page and then can upload other files for backups.

Tripod:

Nope

Strap:

Upstrap. Tough, thin, and logo free. Long enough that I can easily wear it across my chest and sling the camera to the back of my right flank area.

Filters:

Hoya UV and circular polarizers. Haven't found a need for anything else.

My shooting style has evolved over the last few years. I used to be a total gear slut but I found I was spending too much time messing with all that stuff and not enough time shooting. I'd much rather walk around comfortably with just a DSLR (and a lens pen in my pocket) and take more shots while still enjoying the day, than lug around a bunch of gear, look ridiculous and spend too much time setting up shots and forget to enjoy the day. Much of this change came about when I moved to Savannah. I see guys toting tons of gear every day when I drive through downtown. They're on the street corner swapping lenses and fumbling with their various bags and holsters. It's absurd. The 18-200 lens may not be technically perfect but it is the best money I've ever spent on photography gear because it stopped me from carrying a bag full of stuff.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

I'd love to have an 18-200.... I think I have almost justified the price to myself.

Founding Member
    I really want to snag an x100 to just have when walking around for exactly what you described Adam. It's small, essentially a DSLR with a fixed lens. I agree it's a pain to carry much gear around. Been futzing with water shots and HDR shots so the tripod has become a standard with me when doing hikIng in the local parks. I usually transfer to a smaller bag just to have a few essentials (spare battery and CF card, lenspen and extra
    Lens cap).

Also starting to get into macro shooting.
    Last edited by Daishi; 11-15-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Macro is fun, one of my favorite things, unfortunately I don't have a macro lens and still use a P/S, and even then, you are close enough to get some AMAZING shots from an inexpensive camera. Lighting is #1.

Real Name
    Adam
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    I'd love to have an 18-200.... I think I have almost justified the price to myself.
    Get it. I bought that and a flash about a year ago and haven't spent another dime on gear since because the photos I'm getting now made me realize I don't need much else. I'd rather have more good/great shots than fewer "perfect" shots. Especially when it comes to family and friends. The 18-200 delivers in that capacity.

I don't do much landscape photography so I didn't feel compelled to have anything super-wide.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Real Name
    Adam
    Quote Originally Posted by Daishi View Post
    I really want to snag an x100 to just have when walking around for exactly what you described Adam. It's small, essentially a DSLR with a fixed lens. I agree it's a pain to carry much gear around. Been futzing with water shots and HDR shots so the tripod has become a standard with me when doing hikIng in the local parks. I usually transfer to a smaller bag just to have a few essentials (spare battery and CF card, lenspen and extra
    Lens cap).

Also starting to get into macro shooting.
    My wife is really into macro. We do have a tripod but it's primary use anymore is audio measurements. I thought about a nicer tripod for video, but the image stabilization in our TM700 camcorder is surprisingly good so I've not missed having a tripod yet.

If I got into night photography I'd get one for sure.

Founding Member
    What lenses does she use for macro? Not brand, but size is what I am interested in. Rented a 60mm and it was great, but thinking a 60mm and 100mm should be all that I need on the macro front.

BTW. Never use the wish list feature at B&H. Will make you cry when you see your total.

I used to use my 200mm for macro shots with a 2X or 4X close up tubes. could make stuff look like it was on the moon, lol.
    Last edited by minbari; 11-16-2011 at 11:44 AM.

Founding Member
    Ha nice! I really like the sigma 180mm, but damn is it expensive.