Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: French Cleat Garage Storage System

Founding Member
    I envy your storage room. I plan to build a shed behind the garage compartmentalized to hold the compressor and dust collector. And lots of insulation

Do you worry about loss of suction placing the dust collector comparatively far away? my shed placement would put the DC an additional 30 pipe-feet away from the TS and router. I worry about loss of vacuum.

Real Name
    Adam
    In this case it works well. The storage room actually juts out into the garage on the backside of the laundry room. I think it'll be best to have a single header come out of the top of the storage room at the ceiling, go to the center of the garage then have a T or two for drops in the middle, then 45 it over to the back wall. I think it's actually less length than trying to place it in a corner and then run piping along the walls, but I need to measure to verify.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Founding Member
    The main is gonna be a 6" pipe? how long will the main be to the TS drop?

Real Name
    Adam
    Probably 20 ft. Other option is to T the line right off the suction of the dust collector and have a port come through the storage room wall about a foot off the ground, then still do the run up the wall for the ceiling cross.

Having that nearly-direct port would allow me to have a flex hose stationed there for attachment to some rolling tools, and it would definitely maximize power.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Real Name
    Alan
    If you do pegboard, make it a shadowboard. It makes clean-up go quicker and lets it you know if you're missing a tool.

Real Name
    Adam
    I like it. Need to also pick up a new cartridge for my label maker.

Thinking some more about the rolling storage this afternoon, I like the table saw height idea but it makes it hard to store them under anything. So now I'm thinking they could be saw height but also serve as a benchtop when stowed away. If I make a top for each cabinet that extends beyond the sides and rear a bit, I can mount the latches on the underside in such a way that they'll be usable in multiple configurations. The rear overhang will also allow the tops to butt up against the rear wall (there is a concrete curb running around the interior garage wall that I have to deal with).

Also found some nice 24" full-open ball bearing drawer slides at pretty low cost at www.wwhardware.com

There was a guy on Woodnet who did the multiple rolling carts setup a few years back. I can't find the post, but it was pretty impressive. If I recall correctly, he built a bench snug to the wall, and all of the carts stowed away beneath. They were mostly flip-top carts as well, housing various bench-top tools out of the way when not in use, with the carts playing a supporting role based on what tool was being used. Very efficient use of space without being too cumbersome.
    STI<>GTO

Real Name
    Adam
    Off to google rolling carts on woodnet.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_MSS View Post
    That's where I'm also hoping to locate a sub panel for garage electrical service.
    Best thing you wll ever do.

Real Name
    Adam
    Yeah, did it at the last house for the compressor and it was nice. This time I'll run both 220 and all the 110 feeds. Picked up my 3/4" birch ply today along with the first 4 overhead fluorescent light fixtures and bulk packs of 4100k and 6500k T8 lamps so I can have a mix in each fixture (like I already have in my paint booth lights).

Hoping to pull off a shop night starting in an hour or so.