Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: French Cleat Garage Storage System

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_MSS View Post
    and bulk packs of 4100k and 6500k T8 lamps so I can have a mix in each fixture (like I already have in my paint booth lights).

LOL sweet.. Still loving my mixed fixtures.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_MSS View Post
    Hoping to pull off a shop night starting in an hour or so.
    gonna get trashed?

Real Name
    Adam
    Made a little progress this morning. Cut two sheets of 3/4"x4'x8' birch ply into 6" strips, which I then cut on a 45 to make the cleat sections. Side toward the wall is 2.5" wide and the outer portion is 3.125" (it would be 3.25" but I knocked 1/8" off the tip because it seemed too fragile and like it would just lead to breakage later).

Here's the resulting pile. Figure I got 16 6" pieces out of each sheet. Then I cut those in half for 64 sections total at 4' long and it's a total of 256 linear feet. Poor saw blade.

This is the first wall I'm working on. I have to do it in sections in order to be able to fit all the stuff in one bay of the garage each night. Next will be the adjacent wall on the right.

I put up 5 rows. Bottom row is at 3' and will be about right for a 39" bench top once you take the height of it's mounting cleat into account. The next one up is about 48" and I figure it will hold small items I want accessible on the bench top. The next three up are intended to support cabinets, shelves, etc. I think my pegboard sections will likely go on the other wall, but I could also fit some on that middle rail given that they'll only be 2'x2'.

Close-ups of the profile of the wall mounted pieces.

You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Real Name
    Adam
    Forgot one detail. I used a 5/8" forstner bit and made recessed holes for 5/8" washers in the boards. Each board then got three 3" deck screws going into the studs. It seems pretty stout.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Last pic looks like levitation, I see you have the paint booth up already.... and a tiny dog door.

Real Name
    Adam
    My dogs could probably only get their heads through that dog door. I'm just going to replace the whole door when I clear out the litany of higher priority things on my to-do list.

Yeah, we use the mondo dog door... and they still try to go through it at the same time resulting in mad yelps because neither have figured out how to get it in reverse. If you use a door with a window, you will need to get some 3/8" ply and fur the inside part out a bit so that the security plate clears the window frame... Just sayin, because I cussed it hard.

Real Name
    Adam
    Do you guys have any casters that you like? I'm thinking two fixed and two double locking swivel casters on each cabinet. Looking at these currently: Heavy-Duty Polyurethane Casters - Lee Valley Tools

Founding Member
    I do NOT like fixed casters, personally.

This guys is brilliant:

Garage Shop: Workbench: Floating Bases

Real Name
    Adam
    That's a good idea. Eliminates the cost of locking casters.

I ordered a book called "Practical Shop Cabinets" yesterday hoping to get some more inspiration.

Founding Member
    I saw something even better in a book. A metal bracket that bolted to the cabinet that had a foot that lowered. Much better than moving parts on the casters themselves. But I can't find it. Googling only finds the kind of feet you have to screw down into the floor, that's a non-starter IMO. Must be foot-operable.
    Last edited by Whiterabbit; 12-15-2011 at 06:19 PM.