Thread: Custom ceiling speakers ideas wanted

Founding Member

Custom ceiling speakers ideas wanted

I am bored shitless and want to build a set of units to run off the zone 2 on my AVR for my workout area in the basement.

Not looking for anything crazy...let's face it...they're ceiling units, in a basement, for when I throw around a bunch of weight. Basically this is just a winter project to pass the time.

I am thinking a simple woofer/tweeter combo. Thinking maybe an 8" woofer with a large format tweeter or something along those lines. Anyone done something similar and have any cheap driver selections? I am going to start scouring Madison's for some ideas later this week.

Also, anyone have some good passive crossover design education links? Never done it before, and probably going to go super simple initially. Probably just some simple roll offs etc, but obviously I won't known retrain until I actually decide on drivers.

Real Name
    Adam
    You can use Jeff Bagby's passive crossover designer: Loudspeaker Design Software

Are you looking at the 8" to get low or just to get loud? The answer to that would point you toward either traditional home audio drivers versus a pro audio driver. Then you can start thinking about what sort of tweeter would match.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

My wife got me some ceiling speakers I wall mounted for my birthday years ago.. they were dayton branded IIRC and have not seen them in the catalog, but that bring said, they will flat out LIGHT UP 2 car garage.... Pretty amazing.

Founding Member
    Adam, both some volume and the lower end of the spectrum. More on the lower end as I live in a townhouse, so the space isn't massive.

I'll start looking at some drivers tonight to come up with some ideas. Thanks for the link for the crossover design. That'll be some fun!

Chad, I was thinking of some Dayton woofers. Any idea what raw driver you have in those things?

IIRC they are CF, I can look though, nothing I have really seen in their lineup. How are you going to deal with mounting?

Founding Member
    Mounting the drivers or mounting the enclosure? Not sure yet. It's an open beam ceiling, so probably create a box, slip it into the spacing, but make sure it's flush with the bottom of the beams. I'm not worried about making it pretty. Shit, some aluminum flat bar will work if needed.

Ahhh, I thought you were going traditional IB style... well shit then, use any driver you want... I'd go with a couple 15" per

Real Name
    Adam
    When I get in the Woofer Tester Pro one of the first drivers I'm going to test is the Aura NS8. I've got a pair or two on the shelf and they seem like pretty decent little units for $15-20 each. A pair of those along with a small widebander (for 750hz on up) could be a pretty cost effective solution.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Founding Member
    Thanks Adam! I'll look into those woofers...especially at the price.

Chad...I could IB them if I wanted too, but that might create more issues than not.

Founding Member
    Ok, I am thinking that the NS8 driver with a pair of Whispers would work quite well. I could go crazy hardcore and do two NS8's and 4 Whispers per box as there is plenty of room between the beams.