Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight - Best and Worst Tools

Real Name
    Ian
    Good:
    Rolling Tool Cart w/ 5 Drawers

23 Gauge Air Pin Nailer

Bad:

I've had more than one of these shoot flames out the side.
    Heavy Duty 4-1/2" Angle Grinder

Bridge Tile Saw w/ Stand - 1-1/2 HP

Pretty much all of their cordless tools and any other power tool that you need any sort of accuracy out of, any sort of prybar, ratcheting tie downs, pliers of any sort, sand paper and I'm sure a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting at the moment.

I won't touch their cutoff discs... I pretty much don't trust anything from there that spins fast....

I'm on my 4th 1/2" crown stapler from there. One of my old ones it out in the woods at my old house where I got so pissed at it threw it as far as I could.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by imjustjason View Post
    I'm on my 4th 1/2" crown stapler from there. One of my old ones it out in the woods at my old house where I got so pissed at it threw it as far as I could.
    I have a crown stapler/nailer as well. Not a good tool. It works, but pressure regulation is pretty bad causing really inconsistent depth. Which really sucks when you're doing crown moulding and you have a staple sticking out 1-2 mm. Not enough to get a pair of pliers on.

Also bad is anything that pokes holes. Drill bits, forstner bits, etc. Like Chad said be afraid of anything that spins. Router bits especially. I shudder at the thought of a router bit shattering.
    Just because you don't understand the data doesn't mean it's not relevant.

Real Name
    Adam
    After almost being eviscerated by a 1.5" radius roundover bit, I take router bits very seriously. I now look at all sorts of high energy tools as safety devices in and of themselves.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_MSS View Post
    After almost being eviscerated by a 1.5" radius roundover bit, I take router bits very seriously. I now look at all sorts of high energy tools as safety devices in and of themselves.
    Not to derail, but there can never be enough talk on safety. I had a router bit that didn't shatter but dulled very quickly and caught a knot, and I didn't have a firm grip on the router. The router went flying, luckily away from me and not at me. If it was at me, it would have been hospital for sure, and maybe worse.
    Just because you don't understand the data doesn't mean it's not relevant.

MSS Supporting Vendor SyracuseCustoms's Avatar
    the 60 tooth and 80 tooth blades work in our table saw .... But there are 5 other things that flat suck for everyone that is good.
    ***** AUTHORIZED DEALER FOR *****
    ARC AUDIO - ADDICTIVE AUDIO - TRU TECHNOLOGY - BRAX - HELIX - DYNAUDIO - GERMAN MAESTRO - PHOENIX GOLD - JVC - STINGER
    ** TERRITORY RESTRICTIONS APPLY **
    :Jackhammer:CUSTOM FABRICATION: WOOD, STEEL, ALUMINUM,FIBERGLASS & PLEXI :Jackhammer:

Real Name
    James
    I believe a lot of their stuff is a crap shoot. I have the 4.5" angle grinder Ian linked. It's been rocking over 5 years. I buy single use tools from HF. If it does the job 9, cool. If not, out very little.
    04 GTO/Alpine/Arc/Audioque/Lunar/Morel/Exodus

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by MiniVanMan View Post
    Not to derail, but there can never be enough talk on safety. I had a router bit that didn't shatter but dulled very quickly and caught a knot, and I didn't have a firm grip on the router. The router went flying, luckily away from me and not at me. If it was at me, it would have been hospital for sure, and maybe worse.
    You heard the story about the rotozip (harbor freight unit no less) and the power outage correct? That was an embarrassing time.

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniVanMan View Post
    I have a crown stapler/nailer as well. Not a good tool. It works, but pressure regulation is pretty bad causing really inconsistent depth. Which really sucks when you're doing crown moulding and you have a staple sticking out 1-2 mm. Not enough to get a pair of pliers on.

Also bad is anything that pokes holes. Drill bits, forstner bits, etc. Like Chad said be afraid of anything that spins. Router bits especially. I shudder at the thought of a router bit shattering.
    Had a similar experience. It was a relatively expensive bit as well.