Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight - Best and Worst Tools

Real Name
    Adam

Harbor Freight - Best and Worst Tools

I think we all know Harbor Freight can be hit or miss in terms of tool quality. It would be great if we could all share some of our good and bad experiences with specific tools and other goods from Harbor Freight. Then, the next time any of us are wandering the aisles during some sale event, we can refer back to this thread and see what's worth buying.

I'll update a master list here:

BEST:

- Drill Master Pocket Hole Jig (item # 96264) Portable Pocket Hole Jig Kit

- Pittsburgh quick release bar clamps with the blue handles (item #s 96210, 96214, 96211, 96213, etc.) 12" Quick Release Bar Clamp , 6" Quick Release Bar Clamp

- Rolling Tool Cart w/ 5 Drawers (item # 95272) - http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...art-95272.html

- 23 Gauge Air Pin Nailer (item # 68022) - http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...ler-68022.html

- 2HP Dust Collector (item # 97869) - http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-in...tor-97869.html
    Last edited by Adam_MSS; 01-11-2012 at 09:00 PM.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Real Name
    Adam
    On my "Best" list:

Drill Master Pocket Hole Jig (item # 96264) Portable Pocket Hole Jig Kit

This is/was on sale for $59.99 and when you add a 20% coupon it's a bargain, IMO. It's much sturdier feeling than a comparable Kreg Jig and it's less than half the cost.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also on my "Best" list are the various Pittsburgh quick release bar clamps with the blue handles (item #s 96210, 96214, 96211, 96213, etc.) 12" Quick Release Bar Clamp , 6" Quick Release Bar Clamp

The 6" and 12" are on sale for $2.99 and $3.99 respectively.

I don't have a good pic of just the clamps, but here they are on a clamp rack:

You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Stupid question alert:
    What is the purpose of the pocket hole jig?
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

Real Name
    Alan

Here's a similar product
    Last edited by AL9000; 01-09-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Real Name
    Adam
    To aid you in making butt joints without visible fasteners. I'm going to be building face frames for some cabinets and at each corner I'll have a butt joint. So for each corner I'll take the board which will have its end butting up against the side of the other board, put it end down into the jig and drill pocket holes on an angle. Then I'll lay the frame face down on my table, align the joints and drive screws into the pocket holes. When the face frame is flipped right side up there will be no visible fasteners on the front or sides.

Here's what the back would look like:

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
    Stupid question alert:
    What is the purpose of the pocket hole jig?

Let's just say I'm glad you asked. It's like in college when the professor asks if anybody has any questions, then there's a long silence and one brave soul raises their hand, asks a question and you can hear a collective sigh of relief through the rest of the room because everybody else was too afraid of looking dumb. I see you have no problem looking dumb. Thanks for taking one for the team.
    Just because you don't understand the data doesn't mean it's not relevant.

lol, erin just beat me to it...........I had no idea what it was for either.

Founding Member
    I have a kreg jig and it is the most awesome tool I have ever bought, especially if you suck with wood working like me. I built two wall to wall bookshelves using it and it saved me a ton of time (well until I had to fill everything in!).

If that thing works half as well as it looks that piece is a winner Adam.

WORST TOOL

Any spring compressor clamps they sell. I've seen a few different threads of them snapping in two during use. In at least one case it caused the strut to hit the guy in the face. Supposedly blinded him in one eye and almost killed him from the impact.

I googled it.

Real Name
    Adam
    Best:

2hp 5 Micron Dust Collector - Item # 97869

Even after adding a cartridge filter from Wynn Environmental and building a cyclone separator, it's still a good deal.