Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust Collection Strategy

Real Name
    Adam

Dust Collection Strategy

I've got a dust collector that is sitting idle at the moment because I can't make a decision about how to best utilize it. It's a basic 2hp (claimed) Harbor Freight unit that I picked up for about $125 by combining a sale with a coupon. It won't do anywhere near it's absurd claim of 1550 cfm, but even at half that it's a pretty awesome value.

Anyway, I've ordered a Wynn cartridge filter to replace the stock 5 micron bag.

Specs:
    Filter #35A274NANO
    17.5” x 23”
    Open-Closed
    274 Sq. Ft. of Nanofiber Media
    MERV 15
    99.999 % efficient at 0.5 micron
    Outer Screen, No Inner Screen

In order to minimize the amount of sawdust hitting the filter, I'm thinking of making a cyclone or a Thein baffle or Top Hat so the heavier dust and chips fall into a trash can.

Baffle: The Thien Cyclone Separator Lid w/ the Thien Cyclone Separator Baffle

Top Hat: Trash Can Topper Project with 6" Ports

Top Hat picture (upside down to show drop slot):

So my dilemma is whether to try to figure out a way to effectively duct the whole garage, knowing that the dust collector is probably a bit on the small side to deal with all the head loss due to transitions, distance, etc. or to build a mobile platform for the dust collector, set it up with 5" and 4" flex hose (to capture above and below tools) and just move it from location to location. The latter would be something like this (image credit to this poster: My HF/Thien/Wynn conversions)

I'm leaning towards the latter, but with an additional tall support to hold the top dust collector hose up and out of the way when using the table saw or other device where the top hose will go to a hood of some sort. For the table saw I am on the waiting list for a Shark Guard to help collect dust from the top.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

not to argue with you, but how do you know it doesnt do 1550 CFM?

also, I wouldnt pipe the whole shop TBO. you will get the most suction if you just connect the hose to the tool you are using. my $.02

I am looking at one of the harbor freight dust collectors for my little shop. would you recommend them or should I look elsewhere?

Real Name
    Adam
    The Internet told me. ;)

I have no emprical data to say it doesn't move the rated airflow, all the individual specs seem to refute it though. The HP, impeller size, rpm, and suction/discharge ports do not support the claim of 1550 cfm. Bill Pentz's website has a good table with blower/fan curves and the highest cfm rating supported by 2hp is about 1000 cfm.

The HF unit seems to be a tremendous bargain. If I end up expanding my system I'll just add another HF unit.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Very nice thread and info! I'm in the progress of making my workshop functional again (after years of non-use) and just ordered a dust collector. I'll be investigating further into this though, Thien has some very interesting projects.
    Nick
    Virtus probata florescit: reversio

Founding Member
    Here is what I did (which is not far enough) and I want you to keep us up to date on your progress because I want to know about your results.

SO! with advice from the internet-which-is-always-right, I decided to plumb the trunk at 6" including right up to the big tools (table saw and router), everything else can be smaller, but that can wait. I found that 6" PVC at landscape suppliers is really not an unreasonable price.

Then I bought ONE length of 10' high quality 6" flex hose which IS an unreasonable price. That's OK though because the plan is to never need more than one 10' length to cover the entire shop.

What is challenging ME, is that the current design is to wheel the collector from tool to tool, or make it stationary and have a 6" hose across the floor. Not ideal. Where I want to put the DC is 30' away at least, and requires at least one 90 degree bend which worries me as far as losing suction.

So what I'll want to know is what your final design is with respect to trunk length and tool facilitization with respect to duct length and final results, at least with visible dust (I assume you're not going to invest in a particle checker). So that I can determine if it is worth it to move the DC 30' away or if I have to live with it being where it is. Maybe enclose it in a cabinet.

Founding Member
    Time for an update. What did you do? Anything?

Founding Member
    So, last night I put the intermediate touches on my DC pipeline. Not totally finished, but sealed and functional. Finishing touches will come over time.

My unit is a Penn:

I took the base off to get it all to fit well, and bolted the motor on the shed wall to eliminate 5 feet of duct. This also lets me reduce two 90's to less steep angles. Adam, if you haven't put a 30 gal can under your bag, it's a great idea. With a couple holes you can see the dust level. Not my idea.

Breach the house, added a wye over my main workbench. Never really used vacuum here but I have the option now. I might use it to make a hood for sanding.

Pipe travels to the table saw and table router. Minus the beltsander, these two machines by far produce the most chips in my shop. The belt sander produces the most fine dust. Fourth place for quantity of dust is the orbital sander.

I "sneak" the pipe around the garage door. The shelf it pops through provides support as well as a bulkhead to terminate the main trunk.

The main trunk terminates at the top there as a PVC pipe. the flex pipe is removable if I need free and easy access to the bandsaw or welding table.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Founding Member

here is the QD. the pipe is thin waste pipe from the local landscape supply shop. I couldnt get the flexible hose around the PVC so I added a plenum bulkhead to the PVC to "reduce" the diameter enough to slip on the hose and clamp it.

Right now only two machines have hookups, and I manually hook them up one at a time. The router is finished. The pipe hooks up to a 6" pipe that is directly connected to the router cabinet. In addition, the pipe under the cabinet branches to a 4inch flex hose that I pull from around the table and connect to the fence when I use the router/fence. I may build a dust hood that clips to the right side of the table for operations that don't use an open fence because the router will fling dust in that direction with as much vigor as it flings dust into the cabinet.

The table saw is only lazy-done right now. a 4" pipe expanded to 6" for the connection. I have the plenum fitting to open up the 4" port to 6" on the bottom of the body and a couple 90's to route the line out to some location I will add a bulkhead for the flex pipe.

As for pulling dust off the blade, I will probably build a pipe that will go inline on the ceiling where the 6" flex hose attaches. From that inline fitting will be a 4" flex hose that I suspend above the table and plug into the blade guard.

But frankly, I'd rather have a riving knife instead of a blade guard and would prefer to spend my money on that rather than a shark guard type product. We'll see.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Real Name
    Alan
    That looks cool, but do you think that dust might settle and collect at the wye? You might consider turning it sideways 90 degrees that way the dust has a smooth bottom

Founding Member
    thought about that, time will definitely tell. Big thanks though for the reminder to keep some eyes on that.